Joanna Alonzo

List Of Genres We Write/critique/read

I was wondering if we could consolidate some sort of list to see who among us write under the same genres. I figured it would be easier to find people we could work with if we knew who writes/reads within the genre we're interested in. 

Simply indicate with a reply:

Writes: <list the genres you write>

Critiques: <list the genres you feel confident you can give proper critique in>

Reads: <list the genres you love to read/are interested in>

We can also indicate other specifications, like if we're willing to swap critiques with someone or what stage our writing is in or whatever we want to share about your writing.

• Like 1

Let me kick it off:

Writes: Romance, Women's Fiction, Fantasy 

Critiques: Romance, Women's Fiction, YA (still not confident enough to critique fantasy)

Reads: Non-Fiction, Romance, Fantasy, Women's Fiction (I totally love anything by Francine Rivers, C.S. Lewis and Gene Edwards)

A little bit about my writing experience:

I was a ghostwriter for three years, writing novellas/novels in the following genres: Paranormal Fantasy, Techno-Thriller, Romance/Suspense, Mystery, Romance/Family Saga. Some of the books I ghostwrote completely flopped. Others sold pretty well. 

Now, I'm looking to publish my first novel. Pray with me for favor! <3

If you're writing in the genres I'm willing to critique, feel free to get in touch! Would love to strike a friendship. :)

• Like 2

Joanna, I was wondering this same thing about connecting with someone by genre! Then I read your reply and website and realized your interests are similar to my own. I was especially intrigued by your Christian "Beauty and the Beast" tale...

I just finished writing my contemporary romance novel this past spring. I've been editing and sharing with friends and family members ever since. Now, I've realized that - in order to take the next step - I may need insight from someone who's blood or last name I don't share :)   

While I would say this is my first real, adult attempt at writing a novel, I have been writing stories in my spare time since I was 7 years old. For the past five years, I've also written professionally as part of my career in public relations. I'm a very strong editor, and I've ghostwritten for CEOs, physicians and operations managers.

To give you an idea of my style and taste, I would say my book is akin to John Green, Emily Giffin and Nicholas Sparks. While mine is certainly a love story, I strive for substance over steam, so even the most conservative should be comfortable with it.

I'm very passionate about my message, and I believe it is one that could resonate with Christian readers. The story's theme is about the power of fate versus choice. Given the blog post you recently shared about divine intervention and "helping hands," I think you would enjoy it.

Thank you for any tips and advice you might have along this journey of editing and striving for publication! Let me know if you'd be interested in discussing further. 

• Like 2

Hi, Kelsi! Those are some really great credentials! It sounds to me like this could be a promising writerly friendship. ^_^  Feel free to message me, and tell me more about your book. :)  I'd love to be able to help in whatever way I can. 

• Like 2

Writes: Christian living, devotionals, inspirational stories/modern-day parables

Critiques: do very little critiquing

Reads: mostly Christian living, occasionally mysteries

Writes: Christian Science Fiction.

Critiques: I would say that I haven't done an official critique yet. But I am more than happy to tell you if what I read leaves me with questions.

Reads: Bible, Science Fiction, Aircraft information books.

I have no formal writing experience other than detail reports for work.

Writes: Science fiction (YA and adult)

Critiques: Science fiction and maybe some fantasy

Reads: The same

I have written and self-published three science fiction/fantasy middle grade/YA novels, and one and one-half (coming out in a few weeks) adult science fiction novels.

Writes... Christian Apocalyptic Action Drama Techno fiction (that's one genre)

Reads... cereal boxes. And the Bible. Not in that order.

Critiques... I'm afraid of hurting anyone's feelings. I've gotten very sensitive to things like that as I've gotten older.

Writes... Christian Romance/Suspense

Reads... Christian Romance and some Suspense as well.

Critiques... I have not much experience as a critique but I try to write a review on each book I read .

Writes: Bible studies (but I have written a screenplay based on a comic book in the past, and started writing more than one original sci-fi stories)

Critiques: I can critique just about anything

...but I prefer not to critique stories that require specialized knowledge (e.g. police/investigative stories, medical, historical, anything that would require me to do research before I can critique it).

Reads: I have read thousands of comics (manga and north american comics), watched thousands of episodes of cartoons, anime and television shows, and watched many movies of a wide variety of genres.

I don't watch horror (or stories that are intended to put fear into a person), I don't like demonic fantasy (witches, vampires, werewolves, orcs, elves, zombies, mythological fantasy, etc.), and I don't like stories that have a lot of death and violence in them (especially unnecessary violence).

But other than that, I've read/watched just about every genre I can think of at the time of writing this.

I tend to prefer: Thrillers, Sci-fi, Comedy, Action, Mystery, Romance (don't ask me to critique romance, please), Slice-of-Life, and some fantasy (I define 'fantasy' as anything that's not based on how the real earth/world works).

A little bit about my writing experience:

I read and watched stories until God unlocked my mind to know how they work. Then I wrote a book, titled 'How to craft a Story,' in which God info-dumped information into my mind that was knew to me as I was writing the book. When I read my book, I think, 'This is good information. I need to read this a few more times and study it.'

I do not have experience as a published fiction writer (screenplays are my forte - novels are new to me), but I am able to break down the structure of a story and analyze problems in it.

Example: Catwoman (2004) movie

The movie was widely looked down on as being a bad movie (Hallie Berry won a Razzie Award for worst actress because of her performance in Catwoman on the same night that she won an Oscar for her performance in Monster's Ball).

After analyzing the movie (not reading the script), my conclusion was that the script was solid and most of the problems in the movie (actor performances, continuity errors, logical messes, etc.) were in the realm of the director. I can point out problems in the movie and suggest how to make it better (at least as good as Batman Begins).

My personal opinion: A critique doesn't need to be intentionally hurtful. Flaws can be pointed out without being unnecessarily hurtful. And I want to respect the story as it was written. I point out problems in the structure of the story, continuity issues, etc. and make suggestions regarding how to change the way that the story is presented, but I feel that the author should decide whether, and how, the story itself should materially be changed if there are problems in the story. I can make suggestions if the author asks me to, but I don't want to make those suggestions unless the author asks me to.

I'm not sure how much time I can put toward critiquing, but if I find your story interesting, I can try to make time for it. :)

I like this!

Writes: Action Historical Fiction. (Indiana Jones-esk) and Sci-fi/Fantasy (Superhero)

Critique: meh. Haven't done much in this area.

Reads: Historical fiction and Christian Inspirational.

Write: Christian Romantic and Historical Fiction

Critique: Christian Romance/Suspense/Historical Fiction

Read: Christian Romance/Historical Fiction