Kent

Self Publish Or Traditional Publishing ?

New guy on the "page". I have two manuscripts finished and am again exploring the question as to whether to find an agent or self-publish. I  have researched the possibilities on occasion but find the conclusion beyond my reach still. Any thoughts about either? What pushed you one way or the other? Is subject matter a consideration? 

Thanks, Kent.

Kent I moved your question here where it's more appropriate. I hope you'll hop over to Meet and Greet and introduce yourself so everyone will know you are here and can welcome you. There are many threads in the writing and publishing forum that you might find helpful.

Keep us informed as to your decision. Some publishers are scams and just want your money. Going self-pubbed or traditional is something that is personal and needs lots of prayer. Be sure to roam the writing forum for some info. :D

The answer to this is "it depends."

I arrived at my decision through thinking and praying about what goals I want to achieve, and which route appears to be the best one for my particlar situation. I don't know whether you've looked at articles such as this one from the Creative Penn, which nicely lists the pros and cons of both routes. It's lengthy but, as you clearly know, this is a decision which one should make based on as much research and information as you can find.

3 hours ago, EBraten said:

this is a decision which one should make based on as much research and information as you can find.

3 hours ago, EBraten said:

praying

I think she has summed it up nicely!  If you have more questions after you read the article, please let us know.  We'll do our best to get all your questions answered.  

Thanks to both of you. I read that article from Creative Penn. I have researched and already understood most of the pos and cons but seeing it outlined in a format that put all the concerns together was very good. I don't see my books a hobbies necessarily but understanding that  anything I do requires investment as part of the process or enjoyment makes sense to me. (as suggested by the article.) I will try to find an agent but will pursue my own indie publishing process as well. Thanks Again 

Hello Kent! Nice to meet you.  

I am in the same boat you are, with finished manuscripts, the desire for people to read them and a huge question mark as to how to connect with my audience.  

We trust that you do feel God's call to write, and therefore trust Him to open and close venues to you.  One thing that I struggle with is putting myself out there to test the waters.  The fleece has to actually be where the dew falls!  

Don't know exactly what you mean by "putting yourself out there"? (I would like to use a picture of myself from 1995!) Testing the waters is a great thing. It can be seen as getting input, first from friends, then from critique groups, then from experts in the field. If you have made yourself available to critique and friends then the next step is approaching agents, or the few publishers that take unsolicited manuscripts. Rejection is the norm. If you can't get yourself out there or can't deal with, or don't want to deal with, rejection then your path to success narrows considerably. Success just won't happen unless you take risks. Now I think I'll re-read this and see if I agree. There is not much discussion on nitch markets. I think I can narrow my focus on promotion to tightly described areas and groups. At least then I am rejected by the right people! Stay in touch if that is helpful.

6 minutes ago, Kent said:

There is not much discussion on nitch markets. I think I can narrow my focus on promotion to tightly described areas and groups. At least then I am rejected by the right people!

I've heard lots about defining the audience.  I think you are on the right track here and I like the spin you put on it, getting rejected by the right people!  I pray you will be accepted by the even righter people!   

12 minutes ago, Nicola said:

righter

We're writers.  Are we allowed to say righter, or are you breaking the rule on porpoise?  :D  

54 minutes ago, Alley said:

porpoise?  :D  

Shakespeare didn't start it, but he made a mint coining words. 🙃

• Haha 1