Rebecca

Nanowrimo 2018 - Who's On Board?

Are you participating in NaNoWriMo 2018?  

10 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Are you participating in NaNoWriMo 2018?

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/01/2018 at 04:00 AM

Who is planning to participate in NaNoWriMo this year? If you're participating, do you already have an idea for your project in mind?

I'm not this year but I am finishing a NaNo novel for publication which I began in 2014. I use NaNoWriMo as a great tool for Pantsing the rough first draft of a novel. It is an absolutely fantastic tool and I highly recommend it and will be participating again in the not-so-distant future.

• Like 1

I'm just finishing a book so not this year.  However, I've got a nice website for helping with word count that SW pointed me to if anyone is interested!  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alley said:

However, I've got a nice website for helping with word count that SW pointed me to if anyone is interested!  

Sure, post the URL. :)

• Like 1

I am! I've been planning to participate for a few months and have an idea that I like, but I'm only just getting down to sketching out my outline. October was supposed to be outlining month, but it looks like I'll have just a week.

I've done NaNo before, and pantsed it that time. I reached 50,000 words, but 20,000 words in I already knew I was charging towards a plot crevasse. It was fun, though, since I never had any hopes for the "book" in question. This time, I actually want the book to be a thing.

I love NaNo. November is my least favourite month of the year, but NaNo makes it sparkle and zing.

• Like 1

I'm participating this year. I'm super excited because each year for the past three I read about nanowrimo in like December. This year, my entire novel is outlined and I am super prepared. The only thing that can stop me is.... me.

If you wanna find me on nanowrimo, my un is growingshelves.

I'll be participating, but I guess I'm one of the rebels. I won't be trying for 50,000 words. That's a little too lengthy for my MG story.

5 minutes ago, Sibermom65 said:

MG story.

The blonde would like to know what an MG story is, please?  😊

MG = Middle Grade., targeting readers 8 to 12 years of age. (Most of us have been blonde at one time or another.)

• Thanks 1

Maybe next year for me. I'm in the middle of writing my first story and getting that many words written in a month is intimidating 😆

Don't be intimidated! You may be a Nano Rebel. Determine what works for you - maybe a goal like 1/2 hour every day working on the story you have. Then go for it. you still have the support and encouragement of the group. I know from experience that goes a long way. What's your story about? Do you want a writing buddy?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Shadowjess said:

Maybe next year for me. I'm in the middle of writing my first story and getting that many words written in a month is intimidating 😆

No one expects the draft to be good. :DNano is all about volume. It's a chance to shut off your inner editor and just put words on the screen. You'd be surprised the ideas that will pop out if you just force yourself to write.

After NaNo is over, then you go back and revise. No one even sees the first draft unless you choose to show it to them.

I'm seriously considering doing it this year. I started last year, but some other issues came up and I had to drop out.

Whoever decides to participate, post your handle here so we can link up over on the NaNo site.

4 hours ago, Sibermom65 said:

Don't be intimidated! You may be a Nano Rebel. Determine what works for you - maybe a goal like 1/2 hour every day working on the story you have. Then go for it. you still have the support and encouragement of the group. I know from experience that goes a long way. What's your story about? Do you want a writing buddy?

Getting 15 minutes free to write is a challenge with a very active 2 year old.

My story is about the journey and transformation of the heroine from an ordinary girl into a hero called The Guardian. Along the way she learns about the new world she finds herself in and generally gets into trouble 😋

what's a writing buddy? I'm already bugging someone with characters and story bits lol (besides my hubby who gets to hear about it EVERY day)

I wonder how many words I have written to put together my blog. I still have a few to go, so I won't be trying for a novel at this point.

It does sound like fun.

A writing buddy is much of what you choose it to be. It can be no more than someone who follows your progress, or it can be someone who you can chat with, exchange ideas, or read and critique (not criticize) what the other offers for comments. I would be happy to be a writing buddy for you, whether you do Nano or not. If you do sign up, my "handle" is Sibermom.

Short of time? How well I understand that!  When my oldest was that age, I wondered how my neighbor found the time to do all the things she did, and was even "bored" enough to enroll in a college class. Then one afternoon I solved the mystery - her 2 yr. old was still taking long naps twice a day. Mine had given up naps by that age. Have you considered trying Dragon or one of the other programs where you only have to speak into the mic? You could be rocking a child, folding laundry, or washing dishes while you "write". Of course, it would take a little extra editing later to remove things like ""Answer the phone" or "No, no! Don't touch!"

I did my word count last year by line count× average words/line. (I posted a Latin pseudo-random word generator.)

I was writing in longhand on legal pads. This year I have an AlphaSmart Neo, so I can upload the actual text.

November is usually the worst month for writing for me. I work in retail, 

Update: my Neo just stopped working for some unknown reason. I'm going to the AlphaSmart users group for help. I hope I didn't lose anything!

Edited by EClayRowe
News flash!

3 minutes ago, EClayRowe said:

November is usually the worst month for writing for me. I work in retail,

I've heard.  I have a family member that works the same place as you a little south of you, and they are already understaffed.  They do not know how they are going to keep up with the holiday stuff.  

4 hours ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

Still trying to decide...

What are your pros and cons?  We know about your desire to keep editing the recently completed manuscript.  Do you have new characters pummeling the inside of your cranium?