TDDracken

Umbrella Writers Group Idea

The idea that something is difficult should not be a reason to not try. Yes, it did take Edison several tries to create his light bulb, but where would we be if he hadn't kept trying.

16 hours ago, TDDracken said:

manager as the idea of the whole endeavor is to lighten the demand placed on authors

Have you considered the consequence of splitting revenues six ways?

Each author would collect their own revenue.  They would just contribute 5% of what they get into the general fund.  If someone has a book that does very well they would collect the fruits of their own labor.

1 minute ago, TDDracken said:

Each author would collect their own revenue.  They would just contribute 5% of what they get into the general fund.  If someone has a book that does very well they would collect the fruits of their own labor.

Confused.  🙄 Six shareholders doesn't divide the pot six ways?

Let's say Author A sells $100,000 in books and Author B sells $50,000 in books.  Author A would collect 95% of the $100,000 they earned with 5% going to the group.  Author B would collect 95% of the 50,000 and not their combined earnings.

Think of it as everyone being paid by commission where they keep 95% of what they personally bring in.  The exception to this would be those who receive salary from the group for common services such as editor, website administrator, and the like.

Edited by TDDracken

9 minutes ago, TDDracken said:

Author A sells $100,000 in books and Author B sells $50,000 in books. 

Sounds fantastic. But on a self-pub, your earnings are likely to be in the hundreds. Add up those 5% kickbacks, and it won't  add up to nearly enough for what you want to do.

Or, suppose that one writer makes a $100k and the other makes $100. This will mean that the first contributes $5,000 and the second $5. You propose to make them equal partners?

I was just using arbitrary numbers.  As for sales, the idea of the group would be to put more weight behind them when it comes to making deals with publishers or agents.  A common and well optimized website would allow for publicity from one author to also feed into the works of another.  Any advertising by the group would also benefit the members of the group as a whole 

1 hour ago, TDDracken said:

I was just using arbitrary numbers.

So pick any numbers you like, to validate that model. But tens of thousands, for a band of unknowns? Not a chance.

Sure, you could share resources and save money. But in the mind of a publisher or agent, each book will need to stand on its own and be individually worthy.

One thing for sure: If you're looking to hire editors or marketing people (or any other professional service) for this enterprise, they will expect to be paid up-front. They won't wait around for the books to sell (which could mean a delay of 2-3 years).

Edited by Steven Hutson

Yes, we are a group of relative unknowns now but the point of the group is to increase the visibility of the members in the group.  Proper site optimization and the use of hidden tag words on each page increase the search engine visibility.  A wider range of authors and subject matter increases the odds of a search leading people to the site.  Beyond that, authors grouping together as a wider brand in and of itself could be considered a news worthy item if the branding is done properly.  Ideally, more work would be in or near finishing stages before this.

This would generate publicity which would then feed into the perception that the people in the group are more marketable for publishers.  Any authors who choose to blog would also factor into increasing the visibility and attractiveness of the group as well.

Another factor was that I had the idea of also using the group as a vehicle to market the games I've developed to studios.  If any of those were successfully licensed it would have meant an enormous boost in visibility and prestige for the group.  The games being licensed would have also served as a cash foundation to build the group on until more authors in the group had finished books ready for publication.

I don't really know why I'm continuing to hash this out and elaborate on things.  :P

5 minutes ago, TDDracken said:

Proper site optimization and the use of hidden tag words on each page increase the search engine visibility. 

Oh, please do a whole thread on this for those of us that are just learning!!!!  🙏

LOL!  You're a very inquisitive person there. I felt like I was just short of launching into pounding out a business plan complete with contract drafts.

I only meant the question as a "I'd like your general thoughts" kind of thing.  :P

Edited by TDDracken

4 minutes ago, TDDracken said:

You're a very inquisitive person there. I felt like I was just short of launching into pounding out a business plan complete with contract drafts.

I only meant the question as a "I'd like your general thoughts" kind of thing.  :P

And here you had me excited that my copy and paste button was going to get a workout.  :D

On 10/10/2018 at 8:45 PM, Alley said:

And here you had me excited that my copy and paste button was going to get a workout.  :D

Anyway, realistically, I couldn't take on something like this at the moment.  Not while the spray planes continue to fly.  Between helping with my 2 year old and the few lucid spray-free days...  I need every bit of thought I can muster just to continue working on Drifters.

I can, when I can think, come up with all the details easily enough but I don't know whether there would be a calling or support for someone to do this.  It would have to be a group effort with responsibilities being clearly divided from the start.

With that, the spray has put my brain out of commission.  As much as I want to write...  It is time to vedge.

On 10/7/2018 at 8:15 AM, Alley said:

You could be right, but when stated like this it's like you're saying that we (the authors) are too stupid to do anything, and only the publishers are smart enough to handle business aspects. 

Forgive me if this is overkill, but perhaps a little more explanation is needed here:

In my view, the issue here is not that writers are stupid. But rather, that most writers have never studied the business side. Those who learn the biz (and plan accordingly) before they start pitching their work, will be in a stronger position to get their works accepted. This has ever been so.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2018 at 7:25 PM, Steven Hutson said:

Forgive me if this is overkill, but perhaps a little more explanation is needed here:

In my view, the issue here is not that writers are stupid. But rather, that most writers have never studied the business side. Those who learn the biz (and plan accordingly) before they start pitching their work, will be in a stronger position to get their works accepted. This has ever been so.

Sorry, it took me so long to get back to you.  It's been a long rough few days this way.  Anyways...

I 100% agree that anyone planning to publish should learn the business side regardless of whether or not they hire a professional.  Knowing the business side will with help you make better desitions, not be taken advantage of, and help you and the professionals you work with to communicate better, plus so much more.  I do greatly appreciate that you want to keep our eyes open to the importance of this.  I just don't like that it feels like your putting us down to make your point.  

The people I learned from, didn't go out of their way to please me or preserve my self-esteem. They gave it to me straight, and either I wanted to learn or I didn't. Totally my choice (and yours).

Edited by Steven Hutson

2 hours ago, Steven Hutson said:

The people I learned from, didn't go out of their way to please me or preserve my self-esteem. They gave it to me straight, and either I wanted to learn or I didn't. Totally my choice (and yours)

If anyone is looking to you, me, or anyone else for their self-esteem, they're already in trouble, but you already know that.  I'm sorry, I really don't feel up to dancing around points today, so I'm going to respectfully bow out of this conversation.  

@TDDracken If this is what God is calling you too, then I wish you all the best.  Move forward covered in prayer, and God will lead you to his will.  😊 

1 minute ago, Steven Hutson said:

Dancing is optional.

Thank you.  I need a good laugh today!