Yakira Peace

Desert Fantasy

Does anyone have any tips/ideas for writing about a desert fantasy world? My WIP is set in the desert and I'm starting to run out of culture/terrain ideas.

Yakira,

I suggest you create a map. Look at the "World Map" topic in this club and you will see an example of the map I created to go with my fantasy series.

I actually write sometimes with the map in front of me as it gives me ideas of what might happen. If you look at the map I created, you will notice that the center of it is more detailed than the outer "countries" That is because my stories started in the inner kingdom so I had to figure out the details of that area. As I write the newer stories I am filling out the map in those areas.

Interestingly enough, I hit a block on my current story (the third in the series) and i finally realized the map was wrong. I went in and changed some details (where a mountain was, where a river ran, etc.) and it opened up the story because now I understood where the characters were going.

I think it was somewhere in C.S. Lewis's writings that he said, something like if you are going to write fantasy, you better have a map so you know where the characters are going.

It has certainly helped me visualize parts of my stories.

Thanks for the advice! I actually drew a map for my other WIP (which is currently on hold and waaay too long) but never for the one I'm working on now. :P Guess I just didn't think about it.

Consider what type of desert terrain you will have. You can have the "traditional" view of a desert:

image.png.3dadca116c3cb07e2e818f39887a25ad.png

You can have one that has more rocks than anything else:

image.png.82e91afccbf708c6a8b24e77da6faf82.png

Slat flats could be a cool idea:

image.png.0b0e88f815af2d253aea42339b5be853.png

And, of course, there are the frozen deserts:

image.png.dc6b6b1aa351365b7a54bf9fbca225a5.png

Those are just some features you could include. Other than that, RADerdeyn's suggestion is a really good one.