Phy

Discrimination In The Writing World

I'm going to admit right away that I think this is a provocative topic, and I'm not 100% aligned with the author, David Farland, whose writing posts I've reposted many time. But I do think he has some sound things to say about getting published at all in this day and age, and I'm posting that because I think it's sound.

https://mystorydoctor.com/discrimination-in-the-writing-world/

So, what is the answer to discrimination in the publishing industry? I think that there are a few things that you can do.

• First, work harder and try to write better than your competition. Make sure that the quality of your work stands out.
  • Second, forget about awards. So many of them are rigged nowadays that they don’t mean much.
  • Third, as you build up a library of well-written books that can’t find a publisher, maybe you should just consider self-publishing your works.
  • Fourth, many authors try to create gender-neutral names to hide their identity, and some authors even go further, creating pseudonyms that misidentify their gender.
    And if you’re really desperate, you might consider moving to a genre where you will be accepted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Phy said:

many authors try to create gender-neutral names to hide their identity, and some authors even go further, creating pseudonyms that misidentify their gender

Wait.  What if I use a pen name for privacy reasons?  What about if my name is the same as some Hollywood hotshot?  What then?  

15 minutes ago, Alley said:

Wait.  What if I use a pen name for privacy reasons?  What about if my name is the same as some Hollywood hotshot?  What then? 

That's fine. That's what pseudonyms are for, Jada Pinkett Smith! (Did I guess right?) ;)

DON"T ANSWER THAT.

;)

2 minutes ago, Phy said:

DON"T ANSWER THAT.

☹️  And here I was practicing my comebacks.  😪

• Haha 1

This is tribalism at its worst.  Humans are innately tribal, they can't help it.  In the olden days the tribes understood the concept of progeny and procreation. They accepted both genders and catagorised themselves according to cultural practices.  

Now progeny is based upon propaganda.  A tribe is build of those believing a specific set of ideas and must work very hard with only imagined pleasure to sustain a future.  

How can Christian writers break out of the propaganda war?  We are our own tribe. We even sustain our tribe through "propaganda" aka evangelism.  I hope we work hard to accept all, free and slave, man and woman, rich and poor, orange or purple or blue.  

What can we do?  Let's base our 'tribal concept' on moral standards.  This is weird and threatening to the other tribes, but the tide swings, and we will eventually be attractive for holding our ground.

Let's base our tribal concept on human dignity.  God-given identity.  That which degrades life should be discarded, no matter how hard the human works to convince himself that whatever-it-is does not degrade him, we must hold everything up to God's standard of human dignity.  Who has a greater standard for that than God?  

Let's write our hearts out, in every sense of the phrase.  Write all that God gives you to write. Write with excellence, striving always for the better word, the deeper metaphor etc.  Write in the face of opposition and those who tear God's heart out by making His people suffer.  

What else can we come up with to both define our tribe and make it attractive to those God sends our way?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nicola said:

Let's write our hearts out, in every sense of the phrase.  Write all that God gives you to write. Write with excellence, striving always for the better word, the deeper metaphor etc.  Write in the face of opposition and those who tear God's heart out by making His people suffer.  

Amen!

• Like 1

"We walk by faith, not by sight," 2 Corinthians 5:7 - especially applies to self-publishing Christian authors.

Our identity is in Jesus Christ, not what fame or fortune is afforded by the world's standards. If we are obedient in our writing, we can know our ultimate success will be the words, "Well done my good and faithful servant."

No matter if you have a small audience - YOU - are the one the Lord chose to reach that audience, for very possibly their hearts would be hardened to the message of another author.

Or rather,...ours is not to reason why,...but to write is what is put upon our hearts,...and leave the results to the Lord! 😀

• Like 2

I heard Tony Evans comment that we are living in the age of the feminised male. We need to stand up for both sides of God's gender creation. 

Men, I want to read what you have to say! I value your input here on this forum, and out there in the heat and sweat. 

• Like 1

On 8/10/2018 at 10:05 AM, Nicola said:

Men, I want to read what you have to say! I value your input here on this forum, and out there in the heat and sweat. 

I've never felt or seen anything here to make me feel my voice wasn't valued - perhaps this is something Christians aren't falling for (as much, I hope, I pray).

On 8/10/2018 at 10:00 AM, Katherine Johnston said:

"We walk by faith, not by sight," 2 Corinthians 5:7 - especially applies to self-publishing Christian authors.

Our identity is in Jesus Christ, not what fame or fortune is afforded by the world's standards. If we are obedient in our writing, we can know our ultimate success will be the words, "Well done my good and faithful servant."

No matter if you have a small audience - YOU - are the one the Lord chose to reach that audience, for very possibly their hearts would be hardened to the message of another author.

Or rather,...ours is not to reason why,...but to write is what is put upon our hearts,...and leave the results to the Lord! 😀

This is so true. We write because God calls us to it. When I get down on myself and think of giving up, God reminds me that it is He who has called and equipped me to write.

• Like 1

Used to was...

Science fiction was a boy's club.

Rock music was demonic.

Christians didn't go to the movies.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, EClayRowe said:

Used to was...

Science fiction was a boy's club.

Rock music was demonic.

Christians didn't go to the movies.

You're making me feel old.  ☹️  :D

I read the linked article when Phy first posted it. The author speaks of gender discrimination. Last year at a writing conference, I was talking to another attendee about my plight of getting rejected by a name devotional magazine. She looked at me and said, "Do you know what they are looking for? They are looking for men."

What about ageism practiced by some publisher? Several years ago, I read that it is not wise for an author to state his or her age in queries or in bios. 

3 hours ago, quietspirit said:

Several years ago, I read that it is not wise for an author to state his or her age in queries or in bios. 

Same is true for resumes for "real" jobs.