Jump to content
Guest

Synesthesia

Recommended Posts

Guest

Hello!

 

Have any of you ever heard of a condition called Synesthesia? It is a brain quirk that causes people to think in "colors" all the time. I have this condition. I've had it ever since I can remember. I'll give you an example.

The days of the week have always been as follows:

Sunday: Golden yellow

Monday: brown

Tuesday: dark mustard yellow

Wednesday: off-white

Thursday: burnt orange

Friday: charcoal black

Saturday: grayish

 

Anyways, just curious if there are any fellow synesthetes out there! haha!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, wow! It seems the condition is vaguely familiar but I don't remember the name. That could be interesting...or not. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've not heard of it before, but it sounds interesting!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've heard of this 'quirk', but didn't recall the name. How very interesting. Does this affect your writing as well? It sounds like it could be very poetic,...😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
5 hours ago, Katherine Johnston said:

I've heard of this 'quirk', but didn't recall the name. How very interesting. Does this affect your writing as well? It sounds like it could be very poetic,...😀

Katherine, yes, I would say it affects everything that I "think." For me, even all the letters of the alphabet have their own colors associated with them. I think "poetic" is a nice way to describe synesthesia. It's not bothersome, at all. It's just the norm for me. I didn't know until I was around 20 years old that most other people did not think in colors. However, I do remember being a small kid and asking my sister, "what color is Wednesday?" 

She was like, "what are you talking about?" lol!

So, I shrugged and never really brought it up again until many years later!

It's very interesting and unique, to say the least. I can't wait to see if the condition is passed down to my kids when they get a little older. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ella Rose Carlos said:

It's very interesting and unique, to say the least. I can't wait to see if the condition is passed down to my kids when they get a little older. ;)

One of the many joys of motherhood.  I'm hoping my kids take after their father.  Otherwise, we will have a bunch of daredevils, with no thought for self-preservation.  o_O   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
6 hours ago, Alley said:

One of the many joys of motherhood.  I'm hoping my kids take after their father.  Otherwise, we will have a bunch of daredevils, with no thought for self-preservation.  o_O   

haha!! Yes, parenthood is such a treasure! 

Praise God for our little tikes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Ella,

My wife has Synesthesia and like you she didn’t find out until after we were married!

She sees pictures/objects when she hears words, mostly black and white but sometimes in colour.

An interesting side note, she sees images in every language she hears except for Hebrew!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
56 minutes ago, Trumpeter said:

Hi Ella,

My wife has Synesthesia and like you she didn’t find out until after we were married!

She sees pictures/objects when she hears words, mostly black and white but sometimes in colour.

An interesting side note, she sees images in every language she hears except for Hebrew!

 

Tell your wife I am absolutely thrilled to hear of another synesthete like me!!!

I also did not find out I had synesthesia until after I was married. I remember I asked my husband, "You mean, everybody doesn't think in colors?"

He was like, "Nooooo..."

Lol!

Now he enjoys asking me what color different words are. It's a fun/weird game we have!

 

Thank you for telling me about your wife's amazing experience!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

   I also imagine letters and numbers in different colors; and I know where that came from.

   I remember when I was a small child, before I went to Kindergarten, my mother gave me an alphabet book, with letters and numbers printed in different colors.  The colors of the letters and numbers in that book have remained with me.

   It's probably the same with sounds and smells.  If someone associates a certain color, with the aroma of a certain food, it's probably the color of the food being cooked.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will tell her.

She used to tell me a word and ask me what I saw and I would just look at her and tell her I didn’t see anything.

We do the same thing as you now, I’ll say a word and she’ll give me her image.

She doesn’t like some words because the images aren’t pleasing.

It might be genetic, she said her father used to feel music he heard in his bones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
58 minutes ago, William D'Andrea said:

   I also imagine letters and numbers in different colors; and I know where that came from.

   I remember when I was a small child, before I went to Kindergarten, my mother gave me an alphabet book, with letters and numbers printed in different colors.  The colors of the letters and numbers in that book have remained with me.

   It's probably the same with sounds and smells.  If someone associates a certain color, with the aroma of a certain food, it's probably the color of the food being cooked.

 

You are probably right! People don't know that much about synesthesia, but I have often wondered, like you, if the colors were somehow ingrained from childhood. Fascinating! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
35 minutes ago, Trumpeter said:

I will tell her.

She used to tell me a word and ask me what I saw and I would just look at her and tell her I didn’t see anything.

We do the same thing as you now, I’ll say a word and she’ll give me her image.

She doesn’t like some words because the images aren’t pleasing.

It might be genetic, she said her father used to feel music he heard in his bones.

I am waiting to see if my kids (they're babies now) will have synesthesia when they get older.

I have asked all my relatives, and they have no idea what I'm talking about, so as far as I know, I'm the only one in my family who has it--that I know of, at least! 

That's so interesting about your wife's grandfather. Synesthesia is very mysterious and kind of beautiful, indeed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ella Rose Carlos said:

I am waiting to see if my kids (they're babies now) will have synesthesia when they get older.

I have asked all my relatives, and they have no idea what I'm talking about, so as far as I know, I'm the only one in my family who has it--that I know of, at least! 

That's so interesting about your wife's grandfather. Synesthesia is very mysterious and kind of beautiful, indeed!

Our kids and grandkids are normal.

Our first great grandchild just turned 2 so we will have to wait and see!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Synesthesia

There is a very good article on the subject at Wikipedia.com with over a hundred links  to more information. The current estimate is that it is present in less than 5% of the population. I've heard that there are "support groups" that meet regularly where you can compare experiences with others like yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I would expect the song, "Smell the color nine" has a different meaning for you. How fascinating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Though I don't have Synesthesia, I've heard of it before and I think it's so interesting! Kind of off-topic (or maybe not since this is a writing community) but I've also seen instances of writers using Synesthesia-like techniques as a way to add layers to their imagery. I especially love "All the Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr (not a Christian writer, but a really great novel with beautiful prose, set during WWII). One of the main characters is a blind girl, and she sort of visualizes sounds or smells. One example that I remember is her description of her uncle's voice as a "piece of silk that you keep in a drawer and take out occasionally to rub between your fingers," except worded much better :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×