Alley

What Is The Best Web Hosting Site?

Does anyone know where the best place to buy domain names is?  I've seen Hostgator, and they are nicely priced.  Then I saw Go Daddy, and they seem to have a great privacy protection. I would like to buy the domain name for my pen name now and hold it for when I'm ready to start building a platform.  (I hope that's soon!) I would like to have a few more productions than just books to sell, so I want something that I can use for this purpose.  Products include funny writers t-shirts, coffee mugs, and if I'm daring enough products built around certain characters.  Do any of you have any experience with this?  What do all of you use?  

Depends on what you're asking we use. Web hosting and buying a domain name are not the same thing. Although in many cases, they can be done through the same company. I bought my domain name years ago from GoDaddy and used their hosting. When I had my site upgraded for https, I switched my hosting to A2. I've always had it in the back of my mind to sell a few things as well. :D

NameCheap.com hands down. :) Best prices and great service. I use them for the vast majority of my domain names (including CW) and have no complaints. They offer free privacy protection, too.

4 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

I bought my domain name years ago from GoDaddy and used their hosting.

How did you like it?  

And 

4 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

A2

What is this?  

Just now, Rebecca said:

NameCheap.com hands down. :) Best prices and great service. I use them for the vast majority of my domain names (including CW) and have no complaints. They offer free privacy protection, too.

I will check into this!  Thank you.  

I use Hostmonster for my websites and also buy my domains there. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

Bluehost

Upside?  Downside?  

Great, inexpensive, they do everything for you, URL is included with hosting price first year. Cheapest web hosting out there. Price will increase the second year, so plan on that.

3 minutes ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

Price will increase the second year, so plan on that.

Can you get more than one year at a time?  

Yes! I don't remember the details, but I think you can get up to three years at the intro price if you buy at once.

They install wordpress for you automatically.

I've noticed that every site that has been recommended can have WordPress downloaded to it.  I take it that Wordpress is the number one go to?  Is it user-friendly for the non-tech people like me?  

You could start out on the free side, Alley. Then, as you learn more and advance in your needs, you could switch over to the paid side. If you start out on some other platform, it is not as easy if you one day decide to switch to WP's paid side. I started out on Blogger and switched to WP. I lost followers and subscribers and even blog posts.

11 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

I lost followers and subscribers and even blog posts.

All the more reason I want to get it as close to right as I can the first time.  

1 hour ago, lynnmosher said:

You could start out on the free side, Alley. Then, as you learn more and advance in your needs, you could switch over to the paid side.

That's what I'm doing. As soon as I got over the initial shock, I think I'm even getting some of it figured out. There are books, and the site has some instructions. Plus people here are willing to help. Just don't figure on being set up and running in 15 minutes.

What kind of suffix would you choose? I'm familiar with .com and .net, but I look with envy on the annual rates for .us, .club and others.

8 minutes ago, EClayRowe said:

What kind of suffix would you choose? I'm familiar with .com and .net, but I look with envy on the annual rates for .us, .club and others.

I would use .com as it's the most common.

Just now, DrRita said:

I would use .com as it's the most common.

And probably comes up most in searches?

3 minutes ago, EClayRowe said:

And probably comes up most in searches?

I think so.  Your name will come up too but if people forget the total address they will usually default to .com

18 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

That's what I'm doing. As soon as I got over the initial shock, I think I'm even getting some of it figured out. There are books, and the site has some instructions. Plus people here are willing to help. Just don't figure on being set up and running in 15 minutes.

I actually recommend against that - none of the subscribers of my free web site were moved over to the new site, no matter what I did. If you build up a following - and that takes time - you run a risk of losing everyone.

20 hours ago, Alley said:

I've noticed that every site that has been recommended can have WordPress downloaded to it.  I take it that Wordpress is the number one go to?  Is it user-friendly for the non-tech people like me?  

Oh, absolutely! And you can find literally hundreds of themes to use - many free,

• Like 1

GoDaddy is affordable for domain names. Wordpress for website/blog,...but please note Wordpress.com and Wordpress.org,...are different.

Wordpress.com is easier, you can own your own domain, but you are renting your websites/blog.

Wordpress.org YOU own domain and website. Kinda like renting an apartment vs owning a house. There is more expense and technical know-how needed for using Wordpress.org to host your website/blog,...if you have gobs of traffic and/or are setting up e-commerce this is THE way to go,...if you're not happy with Wordpress.org you can take your website elsewhere.

Myself,...I am starting small with Wordpress.com,...it's super easy, affordable, and I do have the option to upgrade to Wordpress.org in the future.

The more you research what options are available you can make the best decision for your needs! 😀