I wonder, how close were you to having a final manuscript before you started working on a cover.

SE

For me, I would work on one as ideas came, no matter where I was on my manuscript.

Ditto Lynn,..

Cover design is a lot like writing,...you research, get a 1st draft, edit, then edit some more, and keep revising until you are happy with the finished product! Whether you do it yourself or commission a graphic designer it is a satisfying creative process! 😀

8 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

For me, I would work on one as ideas came, no matter where I was on my manuscript.

That's my process, too. It can also serve as a motivation to finish your manuscript.

On the other hand, I currently have two covers waiting around for finished manuscripts. 😒   

One of my challenges is my book will be a compilation of about twenty or so different allegorical shorts on twenty different subjects. 

I don't have your answer, but I'm interested in knowing the answer.  

I work on the cover before I start writing or during the editing phase. One reason is that it inspires me, especially if I like it. The other is that it will be done immediately when I get done with the edits of the book. No waiting. Straight to press.

Also, I do not do my own covers. I HIGHLY recommend you save and get a cover designer unless you have a background in graphic design and book covers. It's so crucial to success. Bad covers can be changed but you don't want to come out of the box looking like, "Blah."

2 hours ago, Easton_Livingston said:

I HIGHLY recommend you save and get a cover designer unless you have a background in graphic design and book covers. It's so crucial to success. Bad covers can be changed but you don't want to come out of the box looking like, "Blah."

I completely agree, but I did not know blah was a look.  xD

Argh!!!!

Some artists advertise on Fiver, but I;m sure a $5 book cover is going to look like  a $5 book cover.

I want a cover for my Star Trek novel!!!

Wah.

A follow up question from someone who isn't planning on doing my own cover.........

Has anyone had any experience with a Christian book cover designer?  

If not, I'd be interested in folks experiences with cover designers in general.  

My budget will be in the $200-$500 range.  

SE

2 minutes ago, SEHatfield said:

Has anyone had any experience with a Christian book cover designer? 

I have not, but I'm interested in the answers.  

I did through a publisher, which went belly-up! She's very nice but I have no idea how much she charges. I do know I need to have my cover updated and that will be $80. Sorry, I'm not much help. I know of a couple. Actually, they are former members but I don't know how much they charge either. But I believe they are reasonable. :)

39 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

There is a list in project connections. Also includes a couple other members. 

I've seen that list Lynn.  There were a couple of interesting ones, they seem to be mostly fiction. 

Steve

For what its worth, the lady who designed my cover and I worked together on it. I selected a picture from Pixaby.com.  I get compliments on it. 

Steve, actually, I checked with one of our members on the list. She's very good and very reasonable. She does mostly fiction but does a little nonfiction as well. Her pricing is at the top of her site page. :D

3 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

Steve, actually, I checked with one of our members on the list. She's very good and very reasonable. She does mostly fiction but does a little nonfiction as well

I saw her site, she's one of the ones I was interested in.  I may check with her.

As usual,  Thanks Lynn

SE