Nancy Sonneman

Instagram For Writers?

What is Instagram? Is it all pictures? I'd like to have a presence (since I'm aspiring and not pubbed) like I do on Facebook, and have lots of Christian friends, etc. Do any of you have Instagram accounts for writing?

I have an account but only have one image. I don't use a phone, so it's rather difficult to use a computer. I need to get back to it. And yes, it's all images. :)

I just launched an Instagram site. Still working it out. From what I've read, it is the #1 social media choice for 18-49 year olds (I teach college students so I want to reach them on their medium of choice). FB is still very popular among 50 and up. Sometimes I struggle with the idea of "self-promotion" using social media, but then I remember that my goal is to share my message with as many people as possible, so it's really my message I'm promoting, not me. 

25 minutes ago, David Edward Cummings said:

Sometimes I struggle with the idea of "self-promotion" using social media,

I think we all struggle with this, David. I need to get over and work on my Instagram. :D

• Like 1

Good luck with Instagram David, or David Edward,..I've found it very welcoming.

Modern marketing seems at variance with a servant's heart,...I am struggling huge with this issue,...to promote my book, yes,...to promote myself, no,no,no,...that's just not me!  Pray over your social media decisions,...the Lord will direct you! 😀

• Like 1

Hi, everyone.  I know there is some talk here about self-promotion.  I struggle a little bit with that idea, but the way I see it, we have an amazing message to share about a grace-filled God.  Let's promote the that message like crazy!  Thoughts from you all?

• Like 1

I think we all struggle with it somewhat. We look at this self-promotion thing as scary, impossible, or not something we want to do instead of looking at it from the standpoint of developing relationships. And yes, it is more difficult when one is an introvert. When we started at a new school or job, we tried to make friends, right? Develop relationships? That's what we do now. Without relationships, there's not much point in trying to sell our work to anyone. Why should they care or be interested? That's why social media is so important. We need to work on relationships. :)

• Like 2

I think you can use Instagram as a writer. I have a "creative" account in which I post different creative stuff. But since I'm doing Camp Nano, I post an update every day and include a snippet of whatever I wrote that day. I think you can use Instagram to gain a large following, and if you keep them updated on whatever project you're working on, they'll be really excited and supportive whenever you release it :)