How To Pick A Good Editor.

Ahhh, good! I pray that your work will proliferate and expand to others areas (like the one you're working on) and it all blesses many and brings in lots of chocolate! :D

2 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

IRS, unless you give everything away or make very little. And it's always best to set up a DBA (or other). And a separate bank account is good as well

I have a lot of questions about this.  In fact, I've been looking into this for awhile, and am planning to open a thread with tons of questions.  I'm just trying to make sure I have all my questions together, so I hopefully don't forget anything.  Stay tuned.  

Having never used a "professional' editor, do you agree to a certain aspect of editing up front, or send in a manuscript and simply say "edit this?"

Seems some want grammatical issues dealt with and not style or content.

Just now, SEHatfield said:

There are different types of editing.  You need to be clear about which type you need.  Here are two sites that explain the different types of editing.  A word of caution.  I have seen many bad reviews of the publishing services from the Book Baby site.  So look at the services they offer with caution.  Still, the article is very informative.  

https://www.archwaypublishing.com/Resources/Editing-and-Design/The-Different-Types-of-Editing.aspx

http://blog.bookbaby.com/2016/04/type-book-editing-need/

13 minutes ago, SEHatfield said:

These are usually called proofreaders.

13 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:
28 minutes ago, SEHatfield said:

These are usually called proofreaders. 

Agreed

8 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Never, ever pay a publisher anything.  Real publishers pay us, not the other way around.

This should be on a coffee mug.

4 minutes ago, zx1ninja said:

this might help some 

Informative!  :)

1 minute ago, Alley said:

Informative!  :)

She has quite a few blogs on the page

1 minute ago, zx1ninja said:

She has quite a few blogs on the page

She is the one that Phy is always posting, right?  

Just now, Alley said:

Don't know. I've been talking to her off and on, even did a sample edit for me for free. I'm impressed with her. But then I've no experience with this.

13 hours ago, Alley said:

I think you're thinking of K M Weiland.

Just now, lynnmosher said:

I think you're thinking of K M Weiland

I think you're right. :)

So just to hijack this thread and ask a question - what is the purpose of having work edited, if by going the traditional publishing route you don't have to hire an editor, and it costs a lot for the self-publishers? I mean, if I'm going to spend money hiring someone, to proof/edit my work, what is the main purpose/reason for doing so? 

On 6/18/2018 at 2:33 PM, Jeff Flaig said:

I assume that editors are a necessary part of the process, but how do you pick one that is not going to change your story?

On 6/19/2018 at 6:50 AM, SEHatfield said:

How does one find a quality editor, just through word of mouth?

I've been offline for a while, but i"m baaack. 

I've self published one book (it was edited), and have a second in process (already edited). Here are a few observations/lessons:

My first editor was good, technically, but she made a few suggestions I didn't agree with, so I did those passages my way. But at least I saw what she suggested and could make a conscious decision to disagree. I had literally reviewed my book eight or ten times, and she still made some very good suggestions that I just missed on my own. I found her though research on writer sites and looking at recommendations.

For the second book, I wanted to try someone who I thought could give me more developmental suggestions. When I say the first editor was "technically" good, I mean she caught grammar and punctuation issues, but she made very few plot/character suggestions. And to be fair, I hired her looking for a copy editor and that is what she did. So, I found another editor who purported to be more broad. No such luck. If anything, she was less technically astute (or I am so much better a writer I don't make those mistakes anymore :) )

Interestingly enough, In the mean time, I found a critique partner on this site who is doing a marvelous job of critiquing my book and giving me a wealth of plot and character suggestions. Once I finish incorporating her suggestions, I will go back and get the story re-edited. I feel like the second book (this is a series) will be a much more rounded story when I am through)

So, my recommendations:

1. If possible, find a critique partner who has actually written something you find well done and interesting. Get them to read the story before you go to an editor.

2. Find an editor by word of mouth, or by surfing sites that post editors for hire. Almost all of them will edit a portion of your book for free so you can see if they are right for you. Do they try to change your voice or story beyond recognition - that's a resounding no. But be honest, if they find something that just doesn't work. Certainly have them explain why and if you agree, go with it. If not, keep looking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2