Phy

Sometimes You Just Have To Believe In Yourself

This is the story of an entrepreneur turning down $30M from Mark Cuban. I also see it as a clarion call to believe in yourself. (I do think there are times to be realistic, to know when to sell and why. I'm writing in a genre that's a tough sell and I'm going against some of the conventions for what I think are very good reasons, but ultimately I've been a reader for a long time and I know what I like.)
http://www.businessinsider.com/shark-tank-coffee-meets-bagel-cofounders-declined-mark-cuban-offer-2018-6

In 2015, Kang told me that as soon as the cofounders declined Cuban's offer, they started receiving dozens of emails calling them "crazy," "greedy," and "stupid." She said that experience was but one example of a time when she and her cofounders defied popular opinion to do what they thought was right for their company.

Another example: When Tinder started taking off, many of Kang's investors told her to simply copy Tinder, she said.

"Ultimately, we decided not to," Kang said, "because that's not why I started Coffee Meets Bagel."

Tinder is good at "swiping and entertainment," she said, but "I'm just personally not interested in that."

Kang added: "I'm so glad to stay true to our original reason why we started, which is safety and quality and now intentional dating and relationships."

Pray!  Pray!  Pray!  Trust God where he leads.  The best advice!  

• Like 1

That's really interesting. Good for them! Yes, if you don't believe in yourself and what you're doing, then why do it? And ditto what Alley said! :D

• Like 1

I don't believe in myself. At all. I've had too many blows to my confidence this year that I'm a miserable wreck. I doubt my writing after my sister criticized me and said I need writing lessons.. I doubt my skill. I question my own salvation after a recent post.

I have nothing left.

God help me.

Oh, my goodness, Nicholas. My heart is aching for you. I'm so sorry you've hit a rough patch. We all go through these dumpy pits now and again. For some odd reason, I think writers are more prone to this as are other creative people. Don't ever give up on yourself. You've just encountered one of those bumpy patches. And yes, God WILL help you. If you are a believer in Christ and have asked Him to be your Lord and Savior, then there is no reason to question your salvation. The enemy will taunt you with questionings and doubts. But stand on the Word of God...always. “For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.” (Gal. 3:26 NKJV) Praying for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

I doubt my writing after my sister criticized me and said I need writing lessons..

So who are you going to believe, your sister (is she older or younger? Has she ever been supportive?) or the bunch of us who tell you we like your stories? If her problem is the comma stuff, we can fix that! You have a great idea for a story!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

I don't believe in myself. At all.

Lest I come across like one of Job's comforters, let me just suggest that coming to the end of yourself is a good thing, not a bad thing. You don't have to believe in yourself right now as long as you believe in Jesus.

Proverbs 9:10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

Hang in there, my friend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

I question my own salvation after a recent post.

I know what post you are speaking of.  I was too nervous that day to say anything.  I can't change what I did not say, but I will tell you what I should have said.  I should have said that in Genesis 32:22-32 Jacob wrestles with God!!  I should have said that my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ cleaned out the temple not once but twice with a whip.  Today we call that assault and battery with a deadly weapon.  You, my friend, have come under attack from Satan.  Which means you are doing something right.  He would not attack you if you were not pursuing God's will.  We know there are many evil men in the world.  God has blessed us with men like you who can defend those who can't defend themselves.  I know, I've been the one in need.  You're going even further to teach others to do the same.  I can't speak for everyone but that holds my deep respect.  

Let me share a little of my testimony of my struggles I hope it helps you in your time of struggle. In my early 20's I was married with two children.  One day I got a call from my mother (That I barely had a relationship with) telling me that she had stage 4 cancer and needed immediate surgery.  Could I came and get my two little brothers because if someone was not there to take them before they got out of school social services were coming to take them and place them in foster care.  So I packed my two small children into the car, drove an hour, and a half to care for them.  It ended with me staying for almost a whole year to care for the boys and my dying mother.  My husband had to stay at our home for work, and could only come on the weekends, and that was only when we were lucky enough to have the gas money.  Halfway through this time I learned, I was expecting our third child.  So there I was four children and dying mother, and rarely having help, when at 6 months pregnant our house burned down.  A few days later the doctor told me that I was to stop caring for everyone else, and go somewhere I could have help, or he was going to place me on hospital bedrest.  Thankfully another brother stepped in to take my spot, and my in-laws took us in.  That year I got a beautiful little one on my birthday, and we bought a house shortly after.  While it was wonderful in many ways, it was also going downhill fast.  You see after my child was born I suffered two years of postpartum.  For two long years, I felt nothing.  No joy, no sorrow, I was not angry, or ashamed.  When I looked at my husband, children, and newborn, I know in my heart that I loved them, but I felt nothing.  I was not regretful about that fact and felt no guilt for it.  I literally felt nothing.  At my mothers funeral, I never cried, or had any sadness.  Now it all sounds horrible, but where sin abounded, grace did much more abound.  It was walking through this time that I truly began to see God, his words, and his faithfulness.  You see I grew up in a church filled with hypocrites that never allowed you to ask questions.  Not of them or about God.  No one had ever told me you could not loss your salvation, so I was struggling.  I wanted to believe I was saved, but what if I messed up?  I already lacked any feelings.  Was this the proof that I was worthless?  Maybe there was some special formula I had yet to understand that would make it so I could never lose my salvation?  Still, God was faithful.  He placed us in a home with a pastor and his wife next door. They invited us to their church.  I was nervous at first.  How was I going to take three children to church alone, and make it all the way through services?  (Yes, my husband is unsaved.  Yes I know, unequally yoked, but that is another testimony for another day.)  After much hesitation, I went.  The people were great, and I was soon a member of the church.  One day in Sunday school the pastor was talking about this subject and read 

Ephesians 1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,  

After many questions, I finally realized that I was seal by God.  Something that could never be taken away.  Then I felt the first thing I had in over a year, relief. Yet after this, I felt nothing again.  I was confused and began to truly seek God.  When he brought me to

John 14:15 If you love me, keep my commands. 

and

1 Corinthians 13:4-8 

4 Love is patient; love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

In this time I learned something no one had ever told me.  Love is not a feeling.  It's an action.  Most importantly it is a chose.  I loved my husband and children, and I choose to love them.  I love my God, and I choose to love him.  No feelings were necessary, just my willingness.  

Now if I love God, truly love God, then I will obey him.  It's that simple.  

Of course, the next step is to know how and that requires a lot of time inside God's word.  

My point here is this.  We all come to God in different ways, at different time, and with different backgrounds.

I will be praying.  

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

I don't believe in myself. At all. I've had too many blows to my confidence this year that I'm a miserable wreck. I doubt my writing after my sister criticized me and said I need writing lessons.. I doubt my skill. I question my own salvation after a recent post.

I have nothing left.

God help me.

Although I wrote you a private message on this as well, public among brothers and sisters is a good thing, too.

Take a word from an older guy, Nicholas- I've read some of your writing and you're already solid and getting better. 

As for relatives and writing criticisms, you're tougher than that.  The only thing that matters in that regard is between you and God, and believe me I mean that.  You feel like you're weak, go to God.  Losing confidence, go to God.  He's muscular enough to lift you up.

And, of course, you're family to those of us here at Christian Writers.  Someday soon we should follow Nicola's advice and have a Skype conference call or two to build each other up.  You're a brother in Christ, Nicholas.  It doesn't get any closer than that.  We love you, man.

Next, in reference to posts that make you question yourself, hey, you're saved but still human.  You're a very talented man, and with those talents comes complexity- in other words, I'd say you're thinking too much if you weren't a writer.  One writer to another- keep thinking even when it makes you question yourself.  And, without a doubt you've read second Corinthians 13:5.  It's a blessing to be able examine our salvation.  

So, anyway, we love you man and get back to work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Praying for you Nicholas with understanding and compassion and encouraement....that you find strength and courage to see yourself and your abilities through God's eyes and no one else's.. (Sorry man I'm a poet and don't have words like the others)

Edited by Guest

I have been missing this, so I don't really know what's going on, but I don't need to. 

Lord God, one of our brothers, Your children, is in pain. He is fighting Lord against an enemy as quick and dangerous as any. I lift him up to You Lord God. Give him strength, peace, perseverance and comfort in the knowledge that You are with him, he is Your child and you will provide for him. I have full and complete confidence that you will do this as you promised, and you keep Your promises. 

In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

Be still and listen, wait patiently in expectation Nicolas. The Lord will be with you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Oh, my, Alley! Bless your heart. When it rains, it pours sometimes. So glad you kept seeking found your true seat in the Kingdom! :D

I stand in agreement with others, Nicholas, having no merit in myself to pray, but with full confidence that what was begun in you will be finished to the everlasting glory of God the Father and Jesus Christ His Holy Son

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1