Alley

Need Help Deciding Which One Is Best For Me.

Hi everyone.  I am looking for some advice on setting up a platform.  I have done a lot of research into marketing in general, and have found a few things that are a constant.  The one I need help deciding on is a picture that will be a constant on all of my platforms.  Twitter, Facebook, other stuff like this.  Sometime in the near future, I will be starting a Youtube channel.  It will be focused on helping authors write about anything involving country living, living without electricity, anything involving the woods, among other things.  I am hoping to have a picture that will best present this visually, and along with one day being an author.  That said, would you all take a second to look at the four pictures below, and tell me which one you think might be best for me and my target audience.  ( I write historical romance. )  

The picnic table:

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/vintage-books-bouquet-flowers-nostalgic-background-259109687?src=RHoYAL8HGxextH5VAUrjnA-1-6

The quill pen:

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/quill-pen-ink-well-resting-on-379587745?src=rEDHxiEUx62adYN7twD-tw-1-55

The flower book:

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/vintage-novel-books-bouquet-flowers-on-581821210?src=RHoYAL8HGxextH5VAUrjnA-1-42

The autumn picnic table:

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/autumn-concept-top-view-books-maple-768721849?src=CLSDpsTSlU4k0ZiTILUf3A-1-52

My vote goes for the autumn picnic table. It shows someone writing (oops! enlarged, it is someone drawing). The magnifying glass implies research. The leaves do speak of autumn. The other book implies reading. I think those are cookies to the side. It has more depth than the other pictures, IMHO.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

My vote goes for the autumn picnic table. It shows someone writing (oops! enlarged, it is someone drawing). The magnifying glass implies research. The leaves do speak of autumn. The other book implies reading. I think those are cookies to the side. It has more depth than the other pictures, IMHO.

I agree.  The human element draws me. 

• Thanks 1

Actually, I don't like #4. Because, as Carolina said, the woman is drawing. If you like the human element, I would look for another image. I do like the others. I think I like the quill the best. Have always been partial to images like this for writing. :D

• Thanks 1

Well ... if you want it to reflect reading #1. If you want it to reflect writing #2

• Thanks 1

Autumn picnic table. Because it fits what you describe on the website, some more of what I know from your profile.

And blueberry muffins!

• Thanks 1

of the four you present, I like the autumn picnic table best. The colors are great. The picnic table shows weathered wood. A person would not necessarily like to work on something so brittle.  Just my thoughts.

• Thanks 1

I like the picnic table. Visually it says everything.  The autumn table is too cluttered and it is not visually ascetic when it come to your theme about country living and writing.  That's just my 2 cents.

• Thanks 1

Lots of different ideas. I'm not sure we're being helpful, with choices all over. Looking at pictures takes a lot of time, trying to choose the right one. Good luck. Listen to your inner being and to the Spirit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

Looking at pictures takes a lot of time, trying to choose the right one. Good luck. Listen to your inner being and to the Spirit.

Oh, thank you!.  I've been trying to stay out of the page as much as I can so I don't influence anyone's opinion.  I have had a few personal conversations that make me think I may not have been on the right track, but more prayer is needed.  Thanks, everyone, for all your advice, and ideas.  You've all been great.  

Edited by Alley

Just now, Moriah Wren said:

Keep looking. :)

As in you think there would be a better picture I've not yet found?  Just want to be sure I understand correctly.  

Yes, just  a suggestion though. I read your post and was intrigued by...country living, no electricity, the woods and writing. I see something more rustic and intriguing that encompasses them. But, most importantly you have to follow your heart and find what truly speaks to and represents you. Follow your heart and enjoy your journey. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Moriah Wren said:

I see something more rustic and intriguing that encompasses them.

Thank you for your insight.  I'm trying to balance writing, country living, and later my romance books into one useable background.  As you see, I'm struggling a little.  However, you guys have been great and given me lots of new ideas.  I'll put up a new post when I think I have better narrowed down on what might work.  

Thought I'd take a quick look-see. Maybe something like this? Trying to see which way you want to go.

image.thumb.png.76d7bad255e042e6b6dd65385e3363af.png

create your own photographs of yourself in your country setting would be more my line of thinking....I used all my own photographs for my books. Just my two cents...well maybe three.

I can't say I am amazing at taking pictures.  :eek:   Ok, let me throw something at all of you.  What about an old fashion drawing water well?  Something with a nice forest kind of background?  Does this sound more on track for living without electricity, and medieval romance books?  Maybe something like this?  Not necessarily this one, but do you think I'm on the right track?  

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/water-well-forest-296726207?src=S_eibtk03xakjw68iXVsSg-1-34

"Farm boy, fetch me a bucket of water."

"As you wish.. But, since I must needs carry it ten furlongs, might I not fetch two buckets of water and bear it easier with a yoke?"

"Impertinent fool! I have no need of a second bucket. Be off with you!"

"As you wish... Might I not therefore carry two buckets, each filled halfway?" 

"Have I not made it clear that I want one  bucket? One."

"As you wish..."

• Like 1

I was thinking Snowwhite, but that is soooooo much better!!!

4 hours ago, Woman-of-Hope said:

create your own photographs of yourself in your country setting would be more my line of thinking....I used all my own photographs for my books. Just my two cents...well maybe three.

I like this idea. I need to create or find photos for a children's picture book. Thank you for the reminder.

3 hours ago, EClayRowe said:

Farm boy, fetch me a bucket of water."

"As you wish.. But, since I must needs carry it ten furlongs, might I not fetch two buckets of water and bear it easier with a yoke?"

"Impertinent fool! I have no need of a second bucket. Be off with you!"

"As you wish... Might I not therefore carry two buckets, each filled halfway?" 

"Have I not made it clear that I want one  bucket? One."

"As you wish..."

I agree, your well needs a maiden and a knight.  Oh boy, now we are into cover design....

• Like 1