I take full responsibility for crashing Preditors & Editors. They went offline, a couple of weeks after I pointed out a few dozen mistakes on their site. (Such as identifying an American publisher as a literary agency in France.)

On 6/5/2018 at 7:15 PM, PenName said:

Has anyone read Tolkien’s chapter in Fellowship of the Ring called “Lothlorien”? The whole thing is one big “tell”.

When you're in Tolkein's league, you can make your own rules. Until then, almost every publisher will want you to show.

On 6/12/2018 at 3:18 PM, Nicholas Reicher said:

"you need to quit trying to write by yourself and instead assemble a team with a mentor to help you finish your book."

Well...
I do believe that every writer needs a tribe of the like-minded and missioned. But a group of peers will only get you so far. We also need to find an experienced pro who is farther along in his/her journey,

That's how we stay faithful as Christians. And it's also how you get from the mailroom to the corner office, in any industry.)

This was of course why I said it was bad writing advice!

I included the show don't tell to contrast it with something I read on a writing blog where the author advised tell don't show.

Um...

Bad writing advice is bad writing advice. If agents and publishers tell you show don't tell - don't argue!

• Like 1

Ha! A thread close to my heart. When you have been a writer and editor for over three decades like me, the bad advice jumps out at you like a Halloween funhouse ghost. I blame the Internet. Everyone is an instant expert whether they are or not.

This same phenomenon exists in theology. All the time in undergraduate, grad school and seminary study doesn't make a difference. There is always a Sunday school student who thinks they know more than anyone.

How do I handle the situation in the writing world and in theology? I just let it be. Those with a teachable spirit always seem to emerge from the crowd and I adopt those people as my own. :) 

{waving| Ready to be adopted! Always desire to have a teachable spirit. In all things. How can I be a true servant of the Lord if I do not have a teachable spirit? ;)

So true. Being a true servant of the Lord is the end game. Everything else is just rearranging the furniture of life.

Educated, experienced people always run the risk of being a know-it-all. The only antidote to that poison is insatiable curiosity and a teachable spirit. 

I count it a lost day if I don't learn something new and valuable. And, at the same time, I try to teach something new and valuable. A true servant is in an endless cycle of giving and receiving just as our Lord does.

• Like 1

People shouldn't listen to them??? Hmmm. Your link seems to be filled with tips. We should ignore them, right?

The fact is, some writing tips are excellent and others are terrible. The wholesale approach of "Don't listen to them" is not helpful.

What's the solution? I have been mentoring writers for decades, and I suggest that is the best approach. Fine a PERSON you trust to guide you through the writing, editing and publishing jungle. 

People take bad "writing tips" because they lack the experience to know what is valuable and what's not helpful. A seasoned mentor saves time, money and frustration.

6 minutes ago, DonHug said:

A seasoned mentor saves time, money and frustration.

AKA this wonderful community!  We save each other all of those and more.  We share with each other the best that God gives us.  

I appreciate what you're saying, Nicola. But your link tells writers:  "You Shouldn't Listen to Writing Tips Blogs."

That's terrible advice. Some sites offer valuable tips. A wholesale condemnation of writing blogs is not helpful to anyone.

We Christians need discernment in all things. Writing "best practices" is just one of them. 

57 minutes ago, DonHug said:

I appreciate what you're saying, Nicola. But your link tells writers:  "You Shouldn't Listen to Writing Tips Blogs."

When I post, I usually try to sum up what the article is saying.  I think I aught to have included an emoji, the one with the tongue sticking out.  I regret that I did not appear as facetious as I hoped.  When you know me better, I hope you'll feel more at ease with my odd humour. 😃