ChristianWriters.com
Adeleishere

Quoting Scripture In My Novel Rules

Posted (edited)

Ive searched on the forums and did not find the answer to my exact question so I’m hoping someone can help me out. I have a bunch of scripture in my novel that my character says and some that is in her head. I know the rules about how many lines you can use and I saw a rule about having to have it always be in quotations and always be cited right after whatever lines you use.

My question is what if they character is saying a verse? Do I randomly throw in where its from after the sentence? If my character is saying it in her head, do I have to do the same? I totally understand that there are rules and respect them, i just want to know the rules and make sure I’m doing it right. I also read something about never being italized but being able to put in the back of the book that italized was used for emphasis? See, my characters sometimes say a scripture in their head and I use italized, no quotations, for anything they say in their head as to differentiate they are doing so. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as I want to make sure I do it the correct way. Thank you for reading. 

Edited by Adeleishere

I think what works best is a footnote on the verse and then list them all in the back. Others may have a better suggestion.

13 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

I think what works best is a footnote on the verse and then list them all in the back. Others may have a better suggestion.

Thanks for the reply!

Is this something an editor can do or will they require I do that? I’m just not sure how to properly do it and don’t want to look dumb by doing it the wrong way. 

No, an editor won't do it. I would google how to do it. I'm sure there are tons of articles and videos on Youtube. You could also go to the bookstore and check through books to see how they've done it. Someone here may be able to help you with that.

I don't write fiction but I think it may be close to the same for nonfiction. Starting with the first verse, you insert the number 1 using Word's insert. Then, after the first chapter, start the numbering over again. But you have to make sure you keep it straight in the back of the book. Whatever Bible versions you use, be sure you use the copyright in the front of your book. Hope that helps a little. :D

11 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

I don't write fiction but I think it may be close to the same for nonfiction. Starting with the first verse, you insert the number 1 using Word's insert. Then, after the first chapter, start the numbering over again. But you have to make sure you keep it straight in the back of the book. Whatever Bible versions you use, be sure you use the copyright in the front of your book. Hope that helps a little. :D

I feel like I’m out of my league big time. I just thought I had to write the book and when I give it to the agent, they help me and guide me to anything else I need to do. I didn’t know I had to write other pages besides the novel. Now I’m wondering what all I am missing. Ive googled and YouTubed some and found some answers but not the answer on whether I for sure have to cite it next to the exact scripture or if I can do so at the back of the book instead. Maybe I’m not wording my searches corrrectly because I really dont know what I’m looking for. It makes me feel discouraged. I dont want to mess It up and do it the wrong way. 

3 minutes ago, Adeleishere said:

I feel like I’m out of my league big time. I just thought I had to write the book and when I give it to the agent, they help me and guide me to anything else I need to do

It's what we all go through, Adeleishere, but it will get better as it goes.  Seriously.

I just looked through a Karen Kingsbury book and found that she had her characters saying or thinking scripture and nowhere next to it or on the page or even in the back or front of the book was it cited or labeled.

4 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

It's what we all go through, Adeleishere, but it will get better as it goes.  Seriously.

Thank you. I’m glad I’m not alone. :-)

• Like 1

Actually, I misspoke. I should have said endnotes, not footnotes. Footnotes would go at the bottom of the page, whereas endnotes go at the back of the book.

Kingsbury may have reworded the verses so they weren't actually quoted. She could have used one version and put the copyright at the beginning of the book. If there is no reference for any verse quote, then this is wrong. When you quote the Bible, you must state where it comes from.

Yes, there is a lot more that needs to be done. If you'll check inside any book, you'll see there is a blank page or two, the title page, the copyright page, the dedication page, an acknowledgment page, the table of contents, and sometimes, a prologue, foreword, or preface. There's also the book's back matter and you must have a blurb (short description with a hook), a tagline (blurb boiled down). You will also use the blurb on the book's back cover matter.

Sorry to be so overwhelming but if you've never heard of or considered these things, you need to know.

1 hour ago, lynnmosher said:

Yes, there is a lot more that needs to be done. If you'll check inside any book, you'll see there is a blank page or two, the title page, the copyright page, the dedication page, an acknowledgment page, the table of contents, and sometimes, a prologue, foreword, or preface. There's also the book's back matter and you must have a blurb (short description with a hook), a tagline (blurb boiled down). You will also use the blurb on the book's back cover matter.

There's an app for that.  Or at least a dozen programs willing to help you. For a small fee. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

Actually, I misspoke. I should have said endnotes, not footnotes. Footnotes would go at the bottom of the page, whereas endnotes go at the back of the book.

Kingsbury may have reworded the verses so they weren't actually quoted. She could have used one version and put the copyright at the beginning of the book. If there is no reference for any verse quote, then this is wrong. When you quote the Bible, you must state where it comes from.

Sorry to be so overwhelming but if you've never heard of or considered these things, you need to know.

You are fine. It is good to know these things. I just thought that the publisher or agent or whoever asks for that stuff from you after you have been accepted. I did not know that I had to write all of that stuff myself. Is this stuff something they ask for after they accept you or is this stuff expected to be put in with your book proposal when you send it to agents? I just never saw it mentioned in the book proposal books i have purchased. Do they at least check over this extra stuff to make sure its correct? I truly thought that’s what an editor is for.  What if I do not include the right copyright words? I feel like there is a lot of room for mistakes which i am good at unfortunately.

Also endnotes make a lot more sense. I know what those are. I do not mind doing that. That makes a lot more sense.

4 hours ago, Nicola said:

There's an app for that.  Or at least a dozen programs willing to help you. For a small fee. :P

At this point I’m probably going to pay someone to do the extra stuff so i do not mess it up. Haha. 

7 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Hey, are you plagiarizing a commercial?:)

I think so! :D

8 hours ago, Adeleishere said:

I just thought that the publisher or agent or whoever asks for that stuff from you after you have been accepted. I did not know that I had to write all of that stuff myself. Is this stuff something they ask for after they accept you or is this stuff expected to be put in with your book proposal when you send it to agents? I just never saw it mentioned in the book proposal books i have purchased. Do they at least check over this extra stuff to make sure its correct? I truly thought that’s what an editor is for.  What if I do not include the right copyright words? I feel like there is a lot of room for mistakes which i am good at unfortunately.

No, the blurb and tagline do not go in your proposal. And yes, they will go over them, especially the blurb as it goes on the back cover. The copyright wording can be found and copied. When you need it, ask. we will point you in the right direction to find it. No need to tell you now unless you'd like to have the info and save it for later.

Even though an editor will go through your MS and tell you what needs to be changed, if you haven't had it professionally edited first, sorry to say you won't get that far. I know there's a lot to learn and it all seems overwhelming, but you can do it. Just hangeth thou in there! :D

You really only have to have a works cited page and not any footnotes. This often can come on the info and copyright page before the book begins. That is enough, especially for older versions of Scripture that are the public domain which you wouldn't have to cite. However, it would be good practice to do so. You can also have them paraphrase a verse since most people, sadly, misquote Scripture or only quote part of the verse.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

And which book, chapter, verse is this?

It's from the Lynnmosher handbook.  You know the; How To Be a Lynnmosher.  

Edited by Alley

6 minutes ago, Alley said:

It's from the Lynnmosher handbook.

And you wrote the handbook in King James English?

I would make a joke about her being really old, but I hear she has ears everywhere.  :D

9 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

I meant that she's bilingual

Sure ruin a perfectly good joke with logic.  ¬¬ :D

11 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

'm laughing so hard my dinner is falling out of my mouth!

I can never read these around other people.  I always laugh at the strangest times.  They fear for my sanity.