Adeleishere

How Should I Publish My Book?

I am currently putting together book proposals for literary agents to hopefully get published but i am wondering what are the other options i should be looking at? Honestly I always assumed through a publisher was the only legitimate way to go. Now i am learning there is self publishing, e books and other ways. What should I be considering? Pros and cons and what you would recommend?

Self-pubbing is faster and is very cost effective, takes very little dollars. And you do not want to pay a "self-publisher" which is considered vanity publishing and can cost you many thousands of dollars. However, that said, there are a few small Christian publishers who help with self-publishing. Just remember: if you decide to go the traditional route, you will have to do the same amount of marketing as with self-pubbing. Please, please before you go with anyone, check with us. Many have been sucked into very bad deals without vetting them. We can help you. :)

Self-publishing is viable and I would say more on the up and up than traditional publishers once you look at the fine print. 

The main thing about a trad (traditional) publisher that's different from a self-publisher is that all the things they do, you now do and are ultimately responsible for which includes but is not limited to: book cover development, editing, advance copies, ebook and hardcover formatting, audiobooks, promotions, advertising, contracts, copyrights, publicity. Add to this the extras which they do not do such as social channel maintenance, interview booking, website construction, research, and accounting, it looks to be overwhelming.

But it's worth all that hard work to receive a bigger cut of the pie and enjoy the fruits of your labor. 

In short, if you self-publish, you're starting a business and it should be treated as such. 

You have to have to evaluate what kind of time you want to put into your writing career, what's the purpose and goal of it, and which model will help you achieve that. Some people are better off going with a traditional publisher because they're not good business owners. They don't have the personality type. I suggest doing an evaluation to see whether you have the personality type for it. Here are a couple links for that:

12 Signs You're Destined to Be an Entrepreneur

Are You an Entrepreneur?

BRC Entrepreneur Self-Assessment

If you find that you do have the personality for it, then I suggest a sit down with yourself or your spouse to pray discuss the endeavor. There are different levels of commitment when going the self-publishing route. You can have a hybrid plan to suit your particular situation or go all out. Pray and wait on the Lord then do it.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Easton_Livingston said:

book cover development, editing, advance copies, ebook and hardcover formatting, audiobooks, promotions, advertising, contracts, copyrights, publicity. Add to this the extras which they do not do such as social channel maintenance, interview booking, website construction, research, and accounting,

Marvelous list!  My brother encouraged me to apply for a government grant to fund the process.  I am also considering GoFundMe and Patreon. Your list helps me put things in the business plan.  Thank you!

19 hours ago, Adeleishere said:

Honestly I always assumed through a publisher was the only legitimate way to go.

Book publishers are suffering from that assumption too. :)

I wanna be published by the biggest publisher in the WORLD! Make it a law everyone has to buy one of my books a month! Mwahahahahaha!!!! I shall rule the literary world!!!!

(places crown on head)

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Nicola said:

Marvelous list!  My brother encouraged me to apply for a government grant to fund the process.  I am also considering GoFundMe and Patreon. Your list helps me put things in the business plan.  Thank you!

Glad it helped. :)

To give you some perspective, you can launch a book literally on a shoestring. You can easily launch a book for as little as $100. Maybe less if you're a good penny pincer.

However, on average, it'll probably cost somewhere between $350 to $700. It varies. Most of that is for an editor and if you need a cover illustrator as well as a designer, the price goes up. So you really wouldn't need a GoFundMe though a Patreon account wouldn't hurt IF you are going to be putting out books regularly. I think patrons want to see some food in the fridge that will feed them for a while before they decide to support someone.

As far as a government grant goes, you can icksnay that out the gate. By the time you get a response or any money, you could have written ten books. Don't waste your time or energy.