Nicola

What Physics Can Teach Us About Writing Fiction...

What Physics can teach us about writing Fiction

In layman’s terms, the Theory of Relativity proposes that the measurable properties of time and space aren’t actually as fixed as we perceive them to be. They’re subjective. In our real universe, time and space flex, expanding or contracting relative to moving objects. I began to see parallels between the time and space of the physical universe and the time and space of the fictional one. What if time and space were the only two properties the writer sought to control? Would the universe of craft choices become less overwhelming in their entirety?

I return again to the question of how this notion can be of practical application to the writer. If I must take anything from Einstein’s theory, it is that everything is relative to a degree, which suggests to me that the failure of all advice about craft is its willingness to prescribe, and it is this very prescriptiveness that works fresh writers into a tizzy; there are too many rules to follow. I would suggest then, that the only two questions we need to ask ourselves are: Where are we headed, and how quickly or directly would we like to get there?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nicola said:

which suggests to me that the failure of all advice about craft is its willingness to prescribe, and it is this very prescriptiveness that works fresh writers into a tizzy; there are too many rules to follow.

May I add something from theological physics?

The Lord breathed life into the dust of the ground and made us.  When we write with diligence and faithfulness to honor Him, we are breathing life into the words we choose.  That recognition is, I think, critical to successful writing for any Christian writer.  

I think that from there it is the two activities that are critical to a successful story, not the two questions.  The first activity is praying for story inspiration, and this can take a while (sometimes the answer comes quickly).  The second activity is character creation around the spinning wheel of our story inspiration (an inspired story is never static).  When we do that, I think, the story is already formed by the gift of inspiration and the act of creation. 

In this way, I agree with the piece I quoted from the article. 

In other words, the conscious construction along the lines of rules, although certainly considered safer and more practical, is actually artificial.  There is no substitute for the divine fire of inspiration.

So, instead of asking where we are headed and how quickly we'd like to get there, I'm suggesting we concentrate on praying for inspiration and the act of creating characters to build our work.  Inspiration and creation, not where we're heading and how quick we'd like to get there.  But a gifted writer might just combine both approaches! :)

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

The Lord breathed life into the dust of the ground and made us.  When we write with diligence and faithfulness to honor Him, we are breathing life into the words we choose.  That recognition is, I think, critical to successful writing for any Christian writer.  

This article needed your words to fill in the gaps. What a glorious commission we have!

47 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

There is no substitute for the divine fire of inspiration.

Agreed!  Pansters of the world, Unite! Yes, I recognise that the divine fire of inspiration (in-breathing) wraps around plotters too. :x

49 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Inspiration and creation, not where we're heading and how quick we'd like to get there. 

Christians know where we are heading better than non believers.  We don't know how quickly we'll get there, but knowing where is rest-inducing.  We don't have to push the rules too hard.  We can relax into the Holy Spirit's guidance.  The Fire can burn us to ashes and we know He will breath gold into them at the end. 

53 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

But a gifted writer might just combine both approaches! :)

Now there's grace in action! :D

On 3/13/2018 at 11:40 AM, suspensewriter said:

In other words, the conscious construction along the lines of rules, although certainly considered safer and more practical, is actually artificial.  There is no substitute for the divine fire of inspiration

Amen, brother! I never did like rules.