zx1ninja

Money In The Early 1800's

I need some help with how much stuff cost and what could, or couldn't be rented around 1802 I found some stuff but obviously I'm not finding what I need. Examples: 

Horses

Guns and ammo

Clothing

Food (I did find some on this but only as a supply, not like buying a meal)

Rooms 

Etc

I do know gold was worth about $19.50 an ounce and I need to look up silver. I hope there's someone here who can help, or knows where I can find the info. 

There are numerous sites with this info. Some dedicated just for this reason. Google "what things cost in early 1800s" and you'll find lots of info. :D

5 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

There are numerous sites with this info. Some dedicated just for this reason. Google "what things cost in early 1800s" and you'll find lots of info. :D

I did and it was all I found was in 1870, a little later than I want.

2 minutes ago, zx1ninja said:

I did and it was all I found was in 1870, a little later than I want.

I can't belive what predictive text puts in when I'm not paying attention. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

What years are you looking for?

1800 to about 1804. The one I really need is about the horse. 

Edited by zx1ninja
Spelling

Those are all great and I found most of them, but they don't tell me if you could rent a horse and how much it was. That is my main stumbling block. My character only has about $200 in gold (at 1802 value. stuffs heavy and why would you carry more than a half pound on yourself) on him and needs a horse and supplies after he walked into town, so he has to buy or rent everything. And I don't even know if that could be done. I know a riding horse cost about $200. the supplies is good, but I still need to know how much a bowl of stew cost at the saloon or the room for rent. I really thought that would be easy to find, But I must be looking wrong. Thank you for looking though Lynn. it figures you would have/know where to find some of that information. Your a veritable encyclopedia.

LOL No, just use Google a lot! xD

I KNOW there are more sites out there. I'm just not wording it right. Will look some more. :D

I was looking until 1:30 in the morning, so if you find the right combination your a saint

I found these:

One chest of drawers cost $2 (1802)

One cow cost $10 (Charles County, MD, 1804)

One Pound of Coffee Cost $0.25 -$1 in 1800 = $17.60 today

And I'm pretty sure a horse didn't cost $200. No one would have had one at that price.

27 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

I found these:

One chest of drawers cost $2 (1802)

One cow cost $10 (Charles County, MD, 1804)

One Pound of Coffee Cost $0.25 -$1 in 1800 = $17.60 today

And I'm pretty sure a horse didn't cost $200. No one would have had one at that price.

The source I found may be incorrect, which is why I was asking. I thought it was high too.

Man, trying to find these things is next to impossible. I know there are sites out there that specialize in this but, for the life of me, I cannot find them. I did find that a cowboy's wage for a cattle drive was $25-40 a month.

You know what? If I were you, I'd change the date on my book to a year that is easier to research! LOL xD

going to go to a museum and see what I can find.  But I'm grateful for the effort you put into it.

1 hour ago, lynnmosher said:

Sorry I wasn't more help. Hope you find more answers.

Well, your still a saint. :D

Have you looked up will probate records?  My father has access to them for South Africa for that time (not much help to you) and they sometimes show the value of goods in the estate.  Maybe the wild west didn't keep as thorough records.   

If you do this much research and nothing turns up, you'll be certain your critics won't know if you make it up on the spot.;)

I think you're missing out on something here.

There's a " stranger in a strange land. "  He's fairly well acquainted with the local customs, but---

What if he doesn't know what things cost? I'm sure none of the "honest townspeople" will try to take advantage of him, since he only has uncoined specie to pay for stuff.

The "free lunch" at the saloon isn't  free. You have to buy a nickel beer, or they kick you out.

" That air real gold,Sonny? Wal, lemme have, what, two of them big chunks on deposit,an'  I'll let ye know when 'at runs low."

"Harrumph."

"Not now,Clay. Caint ye see I'm doin a bit o' business here wit' dis foine gemmun?"

"Them two chunks are, what,half ounce or so? Zed,ye know d----d well that a half ounce of pure gold would buy this whole place and pay yer sorry arse to run it for the next twenty years."

• Like 1

Good thought, EC!

I also thought of the old-fashioned way: the library. ;) I asked a group on Facebook and they suggested a local museum or a specialized group on FB. Haven't checked FB yet.