Claire Tucker

Setting Up An Author Website

I'm starting to look into setting up an author website and building my presence online, and am looking for advice and counsel on how to go about this.  What did you guys use?  What worked, what didn't?  Is there any advice you would give a start-up author?  What would you say an author's website needs?  Especially if I don't have ideas or time for blogging, and so am not looking to do that for my website's primary purpose.  This is totally new for me, so any comments or advice will be welcome.

First, I would suggest you look at the sites of authors. That will give you some ideas so you can narrow down what you want. I can tell you a few things you will need but that can come later, after you have set up your site. Many times, newbies set up with Blogger and late, go on to Wordpress.org (paid side). But it's a headache to switch over. So, starting out in  Wordpress.com (freebie side) is much better.

You want to have your own domain name with your name. There are many using Weebly but I would suggest having your own domain name. It's much more professional to not have Weebly, Wordpress, or whatever attached to your link. You want something that will allow you to expand as you gain knowledge and expand your writing.

Don't settle for the easiest. It's all a learning curve. And you do need to learn how to work on images, how to install plugins, etc. So, decide which platform/company you want to use and then start looking for a theme, what you want your site to look like. This will be an ongoing process, so whatever you need, just ask. :D

• Like 1

I used bluehost.com and bought my URL, etc.

I'll say I moved my blog over from a wordpress.com site, and it didn't really go as smooth as everyone said - everything moved over except for my seven followers.

Aside from that, it was easy and painless to set up. So, yeah, I'd go ahead and take the plunge to start with bluehost right from the start. It's how I would do it if I could do it over.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

This will be an ongoing process, so whatever you need, just ask. :D

Thanks, Lynn.  I will more than likely keep coming back with questions and requests for more advice.

2 hours ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

So, yeah, I'd go ahead and take the plunge to start with bluehost right from the start.

I had heard of bluehost, so will check it out.  But this is me.  It could take a few months to actually take the plunge and set up a website.

I have to ask, kind-of in advance, what would your thoughts be on having a page on my website where I list the progress of my work?  And maybe a section where I could put short profiles on characters?

Some say yes; others say no. I am very leery of doing this. While on the surface it sounds like a great idea to get others interested, the side of the coin is that you have to be concerned about pirates. They will suck up your work and make it their own. Also, I've heard that, if you desire to be traditionally published, then this is not a good idea because publishers consider work posted on your website to be previously published. So, you have to decide.  

• Like 1

Thanks, Lynn.  It seemed like a good idea, a behind-the-scenes type of thing, but put like that...seems a better idea to keep that out of the public eye.

Yeah, I think so. But there are others who blog their whole book. I just think it's really risky. o_O

Thanks for asking this question, Claire.  I'm not very far ahead of you.  I have the Wordpress thing happening with the Wordpress.com suffix. I also own a domain and would like to transfer so my own domain name is front and centre.  My question is, is my site going to be run by WP and directed to my domain, or the other way around, or a third option I don't know about?  

That sounds as clear  as mud....

By the way, I use greengeeks.com  

I own a domain.  I can set up as many sites as I want on it. I haven't created anything for Leoshine there yet,  I want to transfer my WP stuff over, or whatever happens when I tell WP to talk to GreenGeeks.

I own a domain and built the site myself, hosting it on Bluehost like Nicholas,.  Fairly easy to do if Rebecca will post her phone number so we can constantly call her all hours of the day and night for technical support.  Wait, Phy is good at this too...so if they made the Rebecca/Lynn/Phy hotline, we'd be set!:)  And don't tell Rebecca I posted this!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nicola said:

Thanks for asking this question, Claire.  I'm not very far ahead of you.  I have the Wordpress thing happening with the Wordpress.com suffix. I also own a domain and would like to transfer so my own domain name is front and centre.  My question is, is my site going to be run by WP and directed to my domain, or the other way around, or a third option I don't know about?  

That sounds as clear  as mud....

By the way, I use greengeeks.com  

If you do Bluehost or any other hosting site (bluehost is the cheapest) They run the site, not wordpress. It's still the wordpress interface, just run on your own server - which is better. Now you can use plugins.

1 hour ago, suspensewriter said:

I own a domain and built the site myself, hosting it on Bluehost like Nicholas,.  Fairly easy to do if Rebecca will post her phone number so we can constantly call her all hours of the day and night for technical support.  Wait, Phy is good at this too...so if they made the Rebecca/Lynn/Phy hotline, we'd be set!:)  And don't tell Rebecca I posted this!

Hear, hear! I'll take the 3am-4am calling shift!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Fairly easy to do if Rebecca will post her phone number so we can constantly call her all hours of the day and night for technical support.

I'm sorted with that. My oldest brother is an ISP (internet service provider) technician, and I work with a lady whose husband enjoys setting up websites and running them and all other things computer related :D

11 hours ago, Claire Tucker said:

'm sorted with that. My oldest brother is an ISP (internet service provider) technician, and I work with a lady whose husband enjoys setting up websites and running them and all other things computer related :D

Oooh, you are so lucky!

I run a WordPress software site that is hosted on another server.  I have a couple of domains, my blog which is updated when I think of something to write about.   My store on another domain, then 2 domain names that point to my CafePress stores.  The WordPress software is easy to use.  You should like it when you set up..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, yawarakai said:

The WordPress software is easy to use.  You should like it when you set up..

So, er.... how to I access the WP software?  Is that what comes when I press this?

Manage your domain and site separately.

Leave the domain at your current provider and manually connect it to your WordPress.com site. You'll still need to continue paying your current provider to renew and manage any domain settings.

If you get Bluehost, it comes bundled with Wordpress already. You don't need to do anything. If they forget to do it, email them and they set it up right away.

23 hours ago, Nicola said:

So, er.... how to I access the WP software?  Is that what comes when I press this?

The webhosting service I use has an installer for different types of web softwares.  I can set up a store, a blog, a forum, whatever i want with the press of a  button.

19 hours ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

If you get Bluehost, it comes bundled with Wordpress already. You don't need to do anything. If they forget to do it, email them and they set it up right away.

I have fifteen different websites with Bluehost, and that bundling with Wordpress makes it easy.

• Like 1