Chuck Kralik

Success As A Writer

I'm thinking about how we measure success as writers.  For some of us, success might be realized only when we write a best-selling novel that reaches millions of people worldwide.  Others of us might see success in one other person being encouraged by our words in a blog.  How about you?  How do you measure success as a writer?

I'm one of those writers who won't feel justified in calling myself an author until an agent and publisher says I'm good enough to publish! I need other people to say I'm good!

Good question, Chuck. I'm stuck in that spinning hamster wheel, wondering what success for me really looks like. And I don't mean this to be cliche, but I truly want what the Lord wants for me, whatever that is. If it's just one person every time I write a blog post or a multitude if and when my book gets published. Though I may get discouraged at times when I think no one has read a word I've written, I know the Lord sees what I don't see. So, I want that eternal success, that lasting outcome. And I need to learn to be content, no matter where success takes me...or doesn't take me.  :)

• Thanks 1

Good attitude, Lynn!  I need to keep asking myself, Am I writing for myself, or for God???  What would He want me to do?

Success is writing exceptional prose that fires up the neurons.  I'd like to be read long after I die, the way I enjoy obscure authors who fired neurons that had not been adulterated by smartphones.  

Back when I was teaching, the common wisdom was that you never know which student will remember what. You may never know whose lives you impacted, which student picked up some off comment you made and changed her/his life. I do know a few lives I touched in my 30 years of teaching. I hope it was more than that, but I was where God put me, doing what God wanted me to do. It's up to God to make the difference in their lives.

I tell my kid that my book is her inheritance.  If she can publish it and make money, she'll have as much as i can give her! 

On 3/10/2018 at 9:30 PM, Chuck Kralik said:

How do you measure success as a writer?

Having written. (That's it.)

I mean, there are things I'd love to see happen as a result of having written, but the writing itself is enough.

I've written so many short stories/essays/devotionals/poems that have appeared on blogs, in self-published devotionals, in newspapers/anthologies or on facebook. I know for a fact that I've touched a few lives with my poetry; and that is one of the reasons I write,especially for women but anyone  going through difficult times, sexual abuse, divorce, depression, death.  I have no idea if I will live long enough for my memoir to be published, but my daughters have explicit permission to put it into print. Many poets did not receive credit, success or money that was due them until after their deaths. I'm good with that! I simply love words and arranging them to make others think,understand or encourage them to live their dreams. I'm rambling again.

1 hour ago, Phy said:

Having written. (That's it.)

I mean, there are things I'd love to see happen as a result of having written, but the writing itself is enough.

Ayup! Bout it here too.