lynnmosher

Don't Eat Grandma!

Commas. We've all heard the importance of using commas. Don't think they matter? Check out these. Cannibalism is on the rise!

Normal: Eat your dinner. Cannibalistic: Eat. You’re dinner.

Let’s eat, Grandma. vs. Let’s eat Grandma. Normal: Let’s eat, Grandma. Cannibalistic: Let’s eat Grandma.

I love cooking, my dogs, and my family. vs. I love cooking my dogs and my family. Normal: I love cooking, my dogs, and my family. Cannibalistic: I love cooking my dogs and my family.

image.png.7167569358ca22beb3d007c37ae59929.png

image.png.de1057d243c4a8fc74d0fa5396e787ca.png

image.png.8c1c0f2610530df4d25b8d5e5d3f5c18.png

image.png.1c070677f40189574af6e92e06c7e6f8.png

image.png.cd9768b3ce1b968ffe9f359eb05dc714.png

And watch out for those rogue popsicles!

image.png.516d0acf6b7557950dc4ee53d1e5bbdb.png

{sigh} You do live a sheltered life. LOL ;) Just kidding. Mashable is "a global, multi-platform media and entertainment company. Powered by its own proprietary technology, Mashable is the go-to source for tech, digital culture and entertainment content for its dedicated and influential audience around the globe." With all kinds of stuff. Don't know how trustworthy they are. And not a place I'd visit regularly. :rolleyes:

You're right- I don't get out much!  Between my lab, my reading and my writing, if it wasn't for Beth I wouldn't know what was going on in the world.  For the longest time, I thought CNN was a railroad.

Lynn,

Thanks for sharing these! They certainly do make the point.

But when did somebody take away the comma in front of "because" in the middle of a sentence?

I looked at Mashable.  Pop culture?  A place for a writer to research what the world is thinking about today?  Place to find ideas?  

1 hour ago, carolinamtne said:

I don't think so. But now I have to go back and work over all the corrections I have made (in my own writing).

Ah ha

5 minutes ago, Nicola said:

I looked at Mashable.  Pop culture?  A place for a writer to research what the world is thinking about today?  Place to find ideas?  

Hey, that's a good idea, Nicola! :D

• Thanks 1

I love the neighborhood signs that say "Slow Children Playing".  I picture the kids running around in slow motion.  Does anyone know what I'm referring to?

And there are, of course, the road signs warning, "Slow Men Working."

What caused me some anguish was driving on back roads in eastern Colorado, "No Snowplowing 7 pm to 6 am." I couldn't figure out why they were forbidding snowplows during the night hours. (Like No U Turns or No Parking) Finally, someone explained that it was descriptive, not legislative. They simply do not plow after 7 pm, so if you're out on the road and it's snowing, don't expect them to come along and plow you out.

On 3/11/2018 at 2:32 PM, carolinamtne said:

They simply do not plow after 7 pm, so if you're out on the road and it's snowing, don't expect them to come along and plow you out.

On 3/11/2018 at 3:04 PM, lynnmosher said:

That is confusing.

I thought so. We see those "No U Turns" signs or "No parking" or "No Passing Zone." We expect that the "no" means you can't do that. It's not allowed. So my question was, Why don't they allow snowplows out between those hours? Instead, what they mean is that they don't do it. It's sort of the same thing, but not a prohibition, simply a description. They don't have the budget to pay for overtime snow plowing. The result is the same, but the intention is different.

Does that make more sense now?

Oh, yes. But I confused you! Sorry. I meant the sign was confusing but I understood what you said. But your explanation. does make sense. :D

I wasn't sure. Glad you understood the first time.

That's the problem with the written word. It doesn't always convey what we mean.