Phy

The First Five Pages

All that I really want is to be convinced that you’re one of the greatest discoveries that I’ve ever made.

If you meet the criteria he listed above, I think you're going to be "one of the greatest discoveries"!

• Thanks 1

Well said, Carolina.  Well said indeed.  Between you and Nicola and Woman of Hope, I'm getting a course in thoughtfulness.  Suspense writers need every bit of thoughtfulness they can get.

9 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Suspense writers need every bit of thoughtfulness they can get

But don't stop shooting from the hip!  This place would suffer without your occasional tirade. Your views, oh Suspense Writer, are stimulating.  They rub off the patina of not thinking hard enough, or turning over too few alternate perspectives. Keep 'em coming, we're thick skinned enough to see your heart underneath. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/13/2018 at 8:28 AM, Nicola said:

Keep 'em coming, we're thick skinned enough to see your heart underneath. 

Ditto!

I wrote a story in which a persons life was mundane year after year, and I wanted to show that right off the bat. Of course, her life was about to change drastically, but the first few pages were taken up in mundane living. I guess I pulled it off with 3.8 stars out of 54 reviews. I certainly agree with the importance of those first pages, and honestly, I don't know how I pulled that one off.

I wasn't interested in impressing some agent or publisher, but if you can't get the story off the ground in those first critical pages I doubt you can pull in your reader either.

Posted (edited)

Good job! You must have had something in the beginning that gave them a clue.

Edited by carolinamtne

When I was in Junior High (and we will not discuss when that was), I picked a book out of the school library and read all the way through to the very next-to-the-last page. The last page had been torn out by someone. To say I was disappointed would be putting it mildly! I never did find out the very end (and it was one of those that was not tied together until the very end).

1 minute ago, carolinamtne said:

When I was in Junior High (and we will not discuss when that was), I picked a book out of the school library and read all the way through to the very next-to-the-last page. The last page had been torn out by someone. To say I was disappointed would be putting it mildly! I never did find out the very end (and it was one of those that was not tied together until the very end).

What a cool story!  Thanks for sharing it.

47 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

LOL Reminds me of an episode of M*A*S*H. BJ received a mystery book in the mail, which the whole camp was reading as they'd torn up the book in chapters Ex.cept the last page was missing. They called the author who was 92 years old and lived in Australia, but her memory was not what it used to be and she couldn't remember who did it. So, they tried to figure out it out but ended up by making up their own ending. :D

• Like 1