Phy

Copyright Vs. Registering Your Works

4 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

ūüėĪ¬† I'm a number!

I am not a number, I am a free man.

I am a person.

I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own!

the prisoner.jpg

• Like 2

I am younger than that, but even I had heard this one.  It's well quoted.  

1 hour ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

Most of you are too young to get this reference. This was from the TV show The Prisoner. 1960's.

I got it - he was the first of two Patricks from that era, Patrick McGoohan. My dad watched the show and I watched it with him.

1 hour ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

Most of you are too young to get this reference. This was from the TV show The Prisoner. 1960's.

I knew that was familiar. My memory is not what it used to be.

• Like 1

"Good morning, it's another BEAUTIFUL day! There will be a brass band concert today at 12 o'clock! Here is a warning... rain is expected this afternoon."

40 minutes ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

Here is a warning... rain is expected this afternoon."

Not here! I'll be out irrigating.

48 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

So that's why the ground is wet.

49 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

Feel free to irrigate my garden any time you'd like!  

14 hours ago, Alley said:

Feel free to irrigate my garden any time you'd like!

How much water rights do you have? How big is your ditch weir? 

Actually, we only have a few acres, so I don't spend as much time as a lot of folks out here.

I own the 15-foot deep ditch, and a giant hole that should be a pond, but does not hold water.  I'll need to put some hogs in there for a summer to fix it.  Plus an underground spring.  Only 900ish feet deep.  ;)  So lots of water, just not where I need it.  :)

On some of the other writers websites where I'm a member, such as writing.com and fanstory.com, all I've had to do is post my writings, and they've received automatic copyrights.   They haven't cost me a cent.

Those can't be copyrights, William. A copyright must be registered with the government and paid for by the original creator.

35 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

Those can't be copyrights, William. A copyright must be registered with the government and paid for by the original creator.

Here is a copy of what is posted at the bottom of a non-fiction article, which I posted on the website writing.com.  On that website, I use the pen name "Yesmrbill".

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

© Copyright 2017 Yesmrbill (yesmrbill at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.

Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work. 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Is that legally valid?

Yes, it is valid but it is not a registered copyright. It is a copyright only because you wrote. Copyright exists the moment you write something but to be held up as original in court, it must be a registered and paid for copyright. 

32 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

Yes, it is valid but it is not a registered copyright. It is a copyright only because you wrote. Copyright exists the moment you write something but to be held up as original in court, it must be a registered and paid for copyright. 

This makes me wonder if the copyright was registered and paid for by the website, in my name.

I think I should contact them and ask if that's what they did?

I don't believe they can do that. I think the originator has to sign it up. And I believe what you're reading there is just their wording for being able to use your work on their site. It's not registered.

I contacted writing.com.  This is the answer I received:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No, they are not registered nor paid for copyrights provided to you for free.

They are simply a copyright notice that acknowledges that you own the copyright. And you own the copyright of your own work because you wrote it.

Writing.Com is not a publishing site. It's a peer review site and writers community. As such, what's posted here is considered to be works in progress.

From what I've read, one generally would not pay to register a copyright of a work until it is considered to be in its final completed form because a registered copyright applies only to that exact version of the text -- if any changes are made afterward, the new version would need its own registered copyright.

There's a published book explaining copyright linked at the bottom of the site's Copyright Policy, which is linked at the bottom of the page. You may be able to find the book in your local library.

Hope that helps.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Their advice is very helpful to me.  I hope it's helpful to anyone else reading this.

10 hours ago, William D'Andrea said:

one generally would not pay to register a copyright of a work until it is considered to be in its final completed form

Is a work ever "considered to be in its final completed form"?

I've been checking this out, going through many posted articles, and copies of Government Regulations, receiving tremendous amounts of information.  There's just one thing I haven't been able to find.  Just exactly how much does someone have to pay, to have his or her copyrighted writing registered?

If anyone knows, please share that very important piece of information with the rest of us.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, carolinamtne said:

Is a work ever "considered to be in its final completed form"?

You can make some changes after you register but I don't it can be a large amount. Don't sure on this.