Nicholas Reicher

Buffer Removes Features In Free Plan

Buffer has removed almost every feature they had in their free plan - essentially turning them into a mere front end for Twitter.

I can't re-buffer any longer, and I no longer can see if my tweets have any impact or not.

This was a senseless decision, and will cost them millions.

So now, i'm learning how to use Hootsuite's free plan - and when I'm making real money as a writer, I'll go with Hootsuite instead of Buffer.

If any of you are undecided about which front end to schedule your social media through, I now suggest Hootsuite instead of Buffer.

Opinions?

Sort of... Buffer was how I wrote Tweets for Twitter. I just switched to Hootsuite, where instead of 10 tweets with limitations, now I can schedule 60.

Posted (edited)

That sounds like a serious upgrade, especially if Buffer was free and now they're charging.  I've never used Twitter, but my wife is a regular follower.  I'm afraid to learn because it would take up time up time I could use for writing, but on the other hand, it's almost required nowdays from what I see.

Edited by suspensewriter

They offered a free plan of ten scheduled posts, plus reposting ("buffering") and a browser attachment. But they took away the stats feature, the ability to rebuffer. Essentially, less than you get from Twitter for free.

2 minutes ago, Nicholas Reicher said:

You can schedule 30 tweets at a time

Okay, how do you guys not run out of words when you're tweeting so much?  And how do you figure out what to talk about?

In other words, why do people want to read your tweets?  How do you get them to look at your tweets?  I've never ever read a tweet in my life so that's why I'm ignorant of this, but I'd really like to know.

Is twitter doing censorship of people also like facebook.  I know of people getting banned on facebook for conservative ideas.  A friend got a 30 day ban for posting a video of someone playing "How Great Thou Are" and someone got offended and reported him, result the ban.

14 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Okay, that is brilliant.  How do you acquire followers to read what you wrote?

You get followers mainly by following others. Check out who they follow. You'll end up with following lots of interesting people. When I first started in social media, hmmm, ten years ago, I started both FB and Twitter but spent most of my social media time on Twitter. However, I reversed that sometime later. I need to get back to Twitter. Have been on sporadically.

One warning: if you wish to come across with your Christian values and beliefs, I would be careful who/whom you follow. I've connected with a lot of Christians. Twitter has an option (somewhere in the settings, don't remember) that they will send you highlights of tweets and those that have followed you.

3 hours ago, yawarakai said:

Is twitter doing censorship of people also like facebook.  I know of people getting banned on facebook for conservative ideas.  A friend got a 30 day ban for posting a video of someone playing "How Great Thou Are" and someone got offended and reported him, result the ban.

I did read that Twitter is rejecting/banning political comments and some Christian comments. FB is as well. It's happening everywhere. :(

1 hour ago, lynnmosher said:

I did read that Twitter is rejecting/banning political comments and some Christian comments. FB is as well. It's happening everywhere. :(

That is so bad.

Is this a way to cleanup the filth? Can we report anything that offends us and have it removed?  What if each one of us only reported one thing?  

Hmmm...on the surface, it sounds like a good idea. I'm wondering if that would lead to more of others being "offended" by what we say? Interesting thought. :)

I have started hitting gab.ai it is a mix of facebook and twitter like posts, but no censorship.  Which is good and bad as nothing is banned and people do take advantage of it.  I am trying to be careful of who I follow there so I see the better stuff.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, yawarakai said:

I have started hitting gab.ai it is a mix of facebook and twitter like posts, but no censorship.

Thanks for the link.  I'll check it out, with my blind fold ready.:$

Ah, it is phone only. I don't use my phone for social media so I'll likely not install.  But thanks for the link and the proverbial ear to the ground!

Edited by Nicola
Looping back after investigating

You can use Gab on the computer also.  I do a mix of both as I have long shifts at work where I am just sitting and waiting for something to happen.