ChristianWriters.com
Chuck Kralik

Website Advice

Hi, everyone!  I've just transitioned to a new website and am looking for constructive feedback and tips on how to make the best use of my site.  Please check it out at www.chuckkralikauthor.wordpress.com.  Also, feel free to leave me a link to your site as well.  I'd love to take a look at great sites.  Thanks so much!

Since the critique forum is strictly for writing, I moved your thread here. Still not sure that I should move it elsewhere. It is more of an incentive to others if you link your link. I'll fix it for you. :D

Great look, Chuck. Okay, here's what I see...or don't see. When you can afford it, you'll probably want to get your own domain name so that Wordpress is not part of your address. Looks more professional.

1) A picture of your needs at the top of your sidebar. People want to see whose writing they're reading.

2) A subscription form needs in the sidebar to sign up for your posts.

3) I see you have a comment option at the top of your article. Put it at the bottom of the article. People don't like to have to go looking for the comment button after they've finished reading.

4) I would make your longer paragraphs shorter. Much easier to read.

5) You need a share button to go at the end of each article.

7) Social media buttons are a necessity for the sidebar so others can connect with you.

I know you've just started but these things are necessary. Hope this helps. :D

I really appreciate the help!  I'm still learning the technology behind website building, but I will try to make the changes you suggested.  Thanks again!  Perhaps I will have more questions in the near future.

1 hour ago, lynnmosher said:

Great look, Chuck. Okay, here's what I see...or don't see. When you can afford it, you'll probably want to get your own domain name so that Wordpress is not part of your address. Looks more professional.

1) A picture of your needs at the top of your sidebar. People want to see whose writing they're reading.

2) A subscription form needs in the sidebar to sign up for your posts.

3) I see you have a comment option at the top of your article. Put it at the bottom of the article. People don't like to have to go looking for the comment button after they've finished reading.

4) I would make your longer paragraphs shorter. Much easier to read.

5) You need a share button to go at the end of each article.

7) Social media buttons are a necessity for the sidebar so others can connect with you.

I know you've just started but these things are necessary. Hope this helps. :D

I think Lynn is right. But that said, looks pretty good for a canned webpage. Just going with the tweaks and make it yours. 

4 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:

LOL Okay. Hope you do know code. :D

Yea :mad: written a few web pages in the past, banners, music, search, contact ect. Started using Publisher and then got Front Page.

Haven't made one in  quite a while now so I'm sure there's more for me to learn/relearn.

Edited by zx1ninja
Spelling

So, I'm attempting to add share buttons at the end of each of my posts.  I go through all the set-up information, even saving the changes, but the buttons still don't appear on my site.  Any suggestions?

And it offers to put them at the bottom of your posts? Hmmm...I tell you what. I'm off to bed now but I have a suggestion. Do a search for the best plugin for share buttons/icons for Wordpress. Be sure to add Wordpress. Not all are created equal. Remove the one you have installed and try another one. I'll catch up with you tomorrow. :D

Don't forget to publish with WordPress. Or it won't be active on the web, just your local machine. 

Thanks, but still no luck.  Couldn't find the publish button after making changes.  Perhaps I need to upgrade to do this instead of using the free plan?

That might be, I don't know.  But patience, Lynn is pretty familiar with that. She may have the answer.