Phy

Quality Takes Work

The hard truth to writing, editing, marketing, is it takes work. A lot of work.
http://delarroz.com/?p=2151

Everyone’s  always trying to get to the top of the game in whatever they’re doing with the least amount of work possible. It’s human nature. We all want to be the top-top of whatever we’re doing, and more importantly we want to do that fast.

I get approached for writing advice and marketing advice on a daily basis now, which is great, it means people perceive what I’m doing on both fronts is working and valuable.

But a lot of people who approach me for this also think I have a magical secret to getting all this done like I popped out of thin air and had a great success. My debut novel did very well, my follow up did equally well even though it’s in a nichier sub-genre, it’s only been one year in the business, right?

That’s where they’re wrong.

I’ve been writing since i was 18. Though I didn’t put professional attention to it until about 2014, and didn’t really even put good hobby time attention to it until about 2010, I’d always thought about it, it’s always been a part of my routine in some way. In 2014 I really started putting work hours into it. I didn’t come out of nowhere. I managed a web-comic and its content traffic for 3 years, I did weekly fiction for the Doomtown: Reloaded card game. There’s always been work involved, it wasn’t write one novel and go.

There’s  truth to the concept of having to put 10,000 hours into something to become a professional at the work. Or 1,000,000 pages written as is said in the writing genre. Some people move a little faster or a little slower in the learning, the clicking as to what works and what doesn’t, but for the most part, this holds true. And it’ll take you at least a couple of years to put in that many hours for the product to really show the results. You should see what my editors tell me about my new books coming down the pipeline vs. my older writing. It’s a big change positively, and it’s because I understand what I’m doing to a much higher degree than I used to. The only way around it was to put in a lot of hours.

Practice, practice, practice. And meet nice people along the way! A good soup can't be hurried, and neither can a novel.  

• Like 1

Like every other endeavor of a life's work, writing takes time. Time and effort and blood and sweat and tears. And lots of finger-tapping! And when the door of success opens, people see the end result and not all years of gut-wrenching work that went into it, believing it was easy and instant. I'm not a top-rung-of-the-ladder type person. If that's where the Lord sees fit to take me, fine. But I'd rather have confirmation that I'm making a difference right where I am, that lives are touched, encouraged, uplifted, exhorted, and blessed. And that's why we all have to keep up the effort, no matter how long it takes or what the genre we write :D

20 hours ago, lynnmosher said:

But I'd rather have confirmation that I'm making a difference right where I am, that lives are touched, encouraged, uplifted, exhorted, and blessed. And that's why we all have to keep up the effort, no matter how long it takes or what the genre we write :D

I'm writing this in very early morning after the Florida school shooting. Making a difference is what we as Christians are about, touching, encouraging, uplifting, exhorting, and blessing. Our world too often seems to convey the opposite message, that violence is the answer, that might makes right. Violence is not a new answer, it's been around since Cain and Abel. We, as followers of the Way, "have to keep up the effort, no matter how long it takes or what the genre we write."

• Sad 1