suspensewriter

Nicholas And The Gunslinger

Our own Nicholas says he's working on a Christian gunslinger novel and I'm so jealous I can hardly stand it.  It's a great idea!

I've never written a Western, and I don't know if I could, but have any of the rest of you just totally jumped out of your genre and written something totally different than what you're used to writing?

Lynn writes devotionals.  My cousin Karen in Arkansas has been writing them for yours for something called..... either Our Daily Bread or The Upper Room.  I don't know if I could write them- they seem so ethereal, gentle and uplifting that I wonder if it takes an especially blessed person to do that.

Poetry takes a special person, too, like Woman of Hope, but I'll be darned if I could put one together.

How about the rest of you?  What if you were assigned an unfamiliar genre to write just one short novel in- could you do it?

• Like 1

It's not a full novel or even a short story, but one of the endings I wrote for a book I'm working on was completely out of character for me, killing off the antagonist. That's not my way of thinking.

Otherwise, I took a writing class a while back and we had to create poetry. Poetry is completely out of my league. I tried for a while to write devotionals, but they turned into laments, instead. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Lynn writes devotionals.  My cousin Karen in Arkansas has been writing them for yours for something called..... either Our Daily Bread or The Upper Room.  I don't know if I could write them- they seem so ethereal, gentle and uplifting that I wonder if it takes an especially blessed person to do that.

That is cool she writes for them, either one. They're both great. I do write an occasional inspirational story/modern day parable. And I have written a little poetry. Short stories? Maybe. But anything longer? Whoa! I could never wrap this ol' brain around all the do's and don'ts of fiction. (I do feel blessed to write devos.) :D

• Like 1

My experience has been in Space Opera and Science Fiction. The Fantasy Noir golem gumshoe novel is a departure for me but I'm having a blast writing it.

You made me wonder, SW. So here's Wikipedia's take on it:

Space opera is a subgenre of science fiction that emphasizes space warfare, melodramatic adventure, interplanetary battles, chivalric romance, and risk-taking. ... Space operas emerged in the 1930s and continue to be produced in literature, film, comics, and video games.

15 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

The refrain, "This is Major Tom to ground control" comes to mind.

Oh, and what is that? I don't recognize it.

"Star Trek III- the Wrath of Khan"  needs to be done as grand opera in the Wagnerian style.

Western movies are called "horse operas." Ergo...

Phy's usual stuff is in the Buck Rogers/Flash Gordon tradition (sorry,Phy. Trying to find something familiar for the newbies to relate to

You probably recognize Space Opera and didn't know it - it's a subset of Science Fiction with an emphasis on adventure and galaxy-spanning scope rather than more rigorous science:

• The Fifth Element
  • Firefly / Serenity
  • Babylon 5
  • Galaxy Quest
  • Star Wars
  • The latest Star Trek movies
  • Jupiter, Ascending
  • Dune
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Titan A.E.
  • Lensman

23 minutes ago, Phy said:

You probably recognize Space Opera and didn't know it - it's a subset of Science Fiction with an emphasis on adventure and galaxy-spanning scope rather than more rigorous science:

• The Fifth Element
  • Firefly / Serenity
  • Babylon 5
  • Galaxy Quest
  • Star Wars
  • The latest Star Trek movies
  • Jupiter, Ascending
  • Dune
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Titan A.E.
  • Lensman

I like 9 of those

• Like 1

On 2/10/2018 at 9:32 PM, suspensewriter said:

Our own Nicholas says he's working on a Christian gunslinger novel and I'm so jealous I can hardly stand it.  It's a great idea!

CA9081SSI01-ManWNoNameConv-W1Snake-38CLT-Sp.jpg

Researching for my novel, and found this...Suspensewriter you should recognize it immediately!

Blondie's Colt Navy 1851. That's $800 smackers for one of those. Tuco's is more affordable.

When I get this published, my first royalty check goes to Cimarron. It'll be my souvenier for writing this novel!

You people must be Americans, though I believe Canadians do admire good craftsmanship in guns.:)

Genres I have written: Poetry, Scifi, Realism, Devotionals, Fairy Tales. Creative Nonfiction. Fantasy. Biblical historical renderings. 

I'm willing to try anything except the gratuitously sexual and violent.

I am too lazy follow the prescriptions for certain plot points or character traits of a market class of a 'genre'. I write outside boxes. Shoot me if you feel offended.  

26 minutes ago, Nicola said:

I am too lazy follow the prescriptions for certain plot points or character traits of a market class of a 'genre'. I write outside boxes.

I prefer to think of this as being a free thinker. ;)

I'm more of a knife and sword guy. I designed a ceramic parang for zero-gravity work, Now all I need is a swordsmith to mock it up for me in steel so I can feel its characteristics..And maybe  sub-orbital flight to figure out the body mechanics for using it.

"