zx1ninja

Group Effort

2 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Hi Z!  I'll join you downstream on this when my fingers are better.  Fun project!

Looking forward to it SW

Just wondering if it might be an idea to create two threads for this project as it is getting confusing with all the additional comments and then bits and pieces of what I was unsure where story or what.  Because they came after several comments it appeared disjointed and I now have a bit of a headache.  One thread could be for all the working out and comments and name changing discussions and one thread just pure story.  You would have to make it obvious on the threads that they were both group efforts and that one was story only.  That is if you like the idea.

Yea, I have to agree that it could be confusing with all these side notes so to speak. I'll set it up since I have the file with the current posting for the story.

To keep the story clear to understand I copied it to "Group Effort Working thread" if you wish to add to it please do it there so we don't have a lot of other posts cluttering it up. All other questions, concerns, or notes shall go here. Thank you for your understanding.

zx1ninja moved the working copy to another thread, so we can use this as a discussion thread.

So we're waiting for someone else to jump in! (I am, anyway.)

Quick review:

Dick Marlowe is a private eye living in a tiny room that's both his home and office. He's one step away from homelessness, which,on Mars,is the maintenance tunnels under the domes.

He's approached by a client, Penny Blossom, who engages him to find a missing person, a John Stone AKA John the Baptist.

A computer search turns up a Jean-Pierre Baptiste whose only digital footprint is a discharge from the French Foreign Legion and the purchase of a Camel-hair sport coat, a leather belt, and other civilian clothing. Since there are no other records, Marlowe assumes that his quarry is underground.

He commences his search at the Wilderness Grill,a dive where dome residents and undergrounders interact.

"....And if you don't know what else to do,have somebody come into the room with a gun."

On 1/29/2018 at 1:54 PM, suspensewriter said:

Hi Z!  I'll join you downstream on this when my fingers are better.  Fun project!

What's wrong with your fingers SW?

Smashed them up- fractures and now trigger finger on four of them.  I never even heard of trigger finger until I cracked them up.  I've had both thumbs broken at the same time, but this is more annoying.    Patience, though.  Hand surgeon Thursday.

Oh, my goodness! I'm so sorry for all the pain. Hubs had trigger finger for a while. Awful. You should go to the open forum and ask for prayer. Praying for you.

57 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Smashed them up- fractures and now trigger finger on four of them.  I never even heard of trigger finger until I cracked them up.  I've had both thumbs broken at the same time, but this is more annoying.    Patience, though.  Hand surgeon Thursday.

Both thumbs broken at the same time and this is more painful? I was cringing at the Chin Na description! (Even when I was cavorting around because my hero was going to break somebody's neck by accident.)

Thursday. What time? (What time zone? I'm Central.)

Let's set up a virtual vigil. Set an alarm.

Might be keen to try my hand, but I've never written sci-fi so don't know where I'd take it....

Will check out the other thread and try think something to add by the weekend.

5 hours ago, Claire Tucker said:

Might be keen to try my hand, but I've never written sci-fi so don't know where I'd take it....

Sci-fi,noir, comics,all in the mix I'm leaving you in a gin-joint with private eye and a hot babe... Strictly G-rated,of course. No,I might get a R for smoking and drinking.??

17 hours ago, EClayRowe said:

Sci-fi,noir, comics,all in the mix I'm leaving you in a gin-joint with private eye and a hot babe... Strictly G-rated,of course. No,I might get a R for smoking and drinking.??

Awesome!  I personally love flawed characters and walking a little bit on the dark side...will see where this goes and add something over the weekend.

On 2/12/2018 at 5:39 AM, Claire Tucker said:

25 minutes ago, EClayRowe said:

And just the Raymond Chandler touch, too! The SF elements well done.

Here's where I display serious ignorance...who's Raymond Chandler? 

Sorry. Sometimes Americans think our cultural heritage is the only one in the whole world.

Raymond Chandler and Philip Marlowe are American crime fiction writers who elevated their genre from "pulp fiction" status. One of the two is famous for. A quote I cited before as advice for writers:

" When you get stuck, have somebody come into the room with a gun."

26 minutes ago, Claire Tucker said:

Ah...sounds good.  Maybe I'll try get some of their work.

And love the advice ;) very...practical.

? Maybe one is a character and the other a writer. I'm heading to work now.

EClayRowe, just saw your addition to the group effort story.  Love it!!

Can we add another character?  Like a super-talkative pickpocket that lives in the underground and has a paralyzed arm?  

Or maybe I'll keep that character...he might be useful somewhere in one of my own stories...