lynnmosher

Alert: Copyright Infringement By Internet

If you have a published book or know of someone who does, you need to read this and act upon it. The Internet Archive is scanning books and putting them to lend. This is copyright infringement. Here

One more thing- for a while a writer lacked the ability to sue for damages if their work was ever put up on the Internet for people to read as it was then considered in the public domain.  I believe that may have changed now, but since this is still true if a writer hasn't filed said work with the government, I'd like to check that out.  It's one of the intrinsic problems with critique forums.  At any rate, I'll see what I can do to find out.

Some research: 

Using educational materials from or on the internet without permission

In education, there are many Internet materials that could be used as teaching aids for a class or for an application in research. But it is not always possible or economically feasible to get or pay for permission. If you qualify for using materials without permission under the TEACH Act, then you also can use online materials in a face-to-face classroom setting. 5If you are concerned about using TEACH procedures—as are many universities—there is always Fair Use. Most of the Fair Use factors that apply to printed media also apply to the Internet, with the exception of posting materials on the Internet. This will, in most instances, disqualify you from Fair Use by itself.

You must get permission to post other people’s work on the World Wide Web. Posting anything on the World Wide Web is the same as publishing or distributing it worldwide, and publishing and distributing is the most revered of the exclusive rights of copyright holders. Why would anyone buy a book at a store if you could simply download it from a website? The best way to qualify for Fair Use when you want to post other people’s work online is to use a password-protected website where only the students enrolled in a class may view the copy. You should also take technological steps to prevent students from copying the materials, such as using a streaming process.

https://ucomm.wsu.edu/the-internet-copyright/

From what I read on this discussion, the people copying material are not using it for educational purposes, so they don't have that justification. The paragraph I italicized would seem to illegalize what they are doing. They need to be stopped.

Is it illegal to make up new words?

45 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

They need to be stopped.

Yes, amen!

46 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

LOL No. People do it all the time. :D

6 minutes ago, lynnmosher said:
54 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

LOL No. People do it all the time. :D

Thank the Lord. I've got some funky names.

By the way. don't laugh, but the villain in my latest novel is named Krikor Meridian.  Don't ask me why.  Just one of those dream or nightmare things.

7 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Okay, Z, what's the weirdest name you've come up with?

LOL okay, you asked. I'll give you a handful.

Htrownek

Relsyrch

Inihgrobmal

Tliubretep

49 minutes ago, carolinamtne said:

What kind of stories do you write? Hopefully, not historical.

Science Fiction

54 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Wow.  Okay, I yield! :)

The easiest one I have is Tiki but that's only in book one and there are three more in book four Bob, Eve and Asa. From there I felt I needed to get creative..