zx1ninja

What Did/do You Like To Read?

I don't read as much as I used to, but when I was younger I read a lot of Isaac Asimov and similar science fiction. Loved them.

Edited by zx1ninja
Spelling

I read quite a bit. Honestly—and I'm not trying to be cliche— the number one thing I like to read is the word of God which I can't get enough of. Along with that, I like to read Christian nonfiction in the area of doctrine and theology because this is where the church is woefully deficient. Books like Holiness by J.C. Ryle (you MUST read this book as a Christian. Essential) and the Sovereignty of God by A.W. Pink (another MUST read). My church is going through Screwtape Letters together on Sunday nights by C.S. Lewis.

As far as fiction goes, I like to read superheroic novels as well as fantasy. I'm not talking about YA material which for some odd reason is where everyone's brain goes when it comes to the genre. I simply want to slap folks and say “Stop it! That's not the genre.” I'm talking adult material like Daredevil's Predator's Smile by Christopher Golden or Wolverine's Election Day by Peter David. My collection of just superhero novels is a little over 120 books. Yes. I love me some superheroes. :x

Also, I like supernatural/urban fantasy material when it is presented with a biblical worldview which is rare. I write more of that than I read. There is some contemporary fiction that I read like at the moment where I'm reading the book by Michael Crichton called Sphere

I do not watch television during the week. Saturday's and Sunday's only and that is if there's something to watch. I read daily. Nonfiction spiritual material in the morning and fiction at night.

As a writer, it is ESSENTIAL to read and be reading always. It's like James Patterson said:

Be careful of, 'Oh, I got it figured out. I don't want to read anymore.' That is death.

He's one hundred percent correct. On the nonfiction side in terms of looking at writing as a ministry (and it is), John Wesley's advice was curter:

Read or get out of the ministry.”

Yeah. It's kinda like that.

Though he was speaking about those called in a direct way, this applies to writers since many people in the ministry write and therefore should be reading. If you're going to be communicating anything, you need to be reading to become a better communicator.

Yeah. I'm just a tad passionate about it.

7 minutes ago, Easton_Livingston said:

I read quite a bit. Honestly—and I'm not trying to be cliche— the number one thing I like to read is the word of God which I can't get enough of.

I assumed that as a givin, I was referring to reading for pleasure. I should have been more clear. I'm glad you stated it though. 

41 minutes ago, zx1ninja said:

I assumed that as a givin, I was referring to reading for pleasure. I should have been more clear. I'm glad you stated it though. 

Do not assume. The vast majority of people saying they are Christians do NOT read the Bible regularly or even like to read it. So never assume in this. :)

I read books no younger than 1950.  1900 is more my style.  Right now I am reading Moonfleet by J. Meade Falkner, published in 1898.  The edition I have has no date, which means it came from before 1910ish. 

I love sea adventures, but all kinds of adventure will do.  John Buchan is unbeatable for a ripping tale.  

I also read unpublished novels by my colleagues !  Wattpad is vastly entertaining, as long as you weave between the ghastly.  One finds material there that would never pass 'market grade', and is therefore infinitely deeper and more interesting.

I just thought of a fantasy series I read that was published in 2007 that I love and reread often.  Aurelia's Colors by Jeffrey Overstreet.   Just to disprove my boast above.  

Right now I'm in the middle of The Wingfeather Saga by Andrew Peterson. It's a Christian fantasy series for kids, but I love it even though I'm in college :P. The humor is great and makes for a really enjoyable read.

Before:

Fiction, mostly science fiction; I read out the local library in that section. Loved those bad boys: Harlan Ellison, Roger Zelazney, the whole Clarion crowd. But if I couldn't find anything else in the house, I'd read anything, including the encyclopedia.

After:

One whole year, nothing but Scripture and Christian non-fiction. The next fiction book I read was Pilgrim's Progress. Then classic English and American fiction: Dickens,Twain, Fitzgerald,Defoe. Then re-reading C.S. Lewis, Tolkien,Douglas Adams: I read the Chronicles, LOTR, all five books of the Hitch-Hiker trilogy (yes, that's right) once a year, every year around the holidays because I couldn't get to the library as often. I try to read the award winners (Hugo & Nebula) when they are available. I get used books when I buy them, more bang for the buck, bookstores, on-line, yard-sales; I'm not too proud to admit I've dumpster-dived for books.

On 1/11/2018 at 1:19 PM, Easton_Livingston said:

Do not assume. The vast majority of people saying they are Christians do NOT read the Bible regularly or even like to read it. So never assume in this. 

Here,here!

For the first time in more than ten years,I am not going to read the entire Bible over the course of a year. Instead,I follow a"selected passages" plan from my extra-large print edition of the Authorised Version.

Z- I owe you and Phy for getting me to read science fiction again.  Phy and Nicola got me to read fantasy.  Other than that, I've been a mystery and suspense reader for years.

For the Bible, I've been using the Tyndale `1 year reading plan and listening to two versions on Audible- the NIV and NKJV.  What I have enjoyed and reread is "Cold Case Christianity."  For some reason, I love that book.  Also "Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian."  Love that one, too.