anaander

Book - What Have You Read That's Helped You?

Hello!  It's me again...the newbie with all the questions.....:-)

Just wondering if y'all have read a book that has helped you (besides Scripture!) learn to hear the voice of God.  This has always been challenging for me to discern, especially in the area of the practical and what HE wants me to do.  The area of writing is no different. My sincere desire is to do what HE wants me to do and NOT what I want or what I think is the best.  I just want to know deep down that I'm following HIS will not mine.  Reading Holy Spirit inspired books has helped me discern what HE's trying to show me to do.

I don't know if this makes any sense.  Rambling probably, more than anything.

Thanks for your help!!

Ana

I'm part of a FB group with Priscilla Shirer for her Bible study book Discerning the Voice of God. I haven't read it yet. It starts Jan. 18 so you can request to join.. Here.  Also, here's a link to her Amazon page and her book, along with her other books. She also has one called Awaken: 90 Days with the God Who Speaks. This is her FB page where she going through the days.

I know there are others but my noggin has beat me to bed! o_O:D

16 hours ago, anaander said:

Hello!  It's me again...the newbie with all the questions.....:-)

Just wondering if y'all have read a book that has helped you (besides Scripture!) learn to hear the voice of God.  This has always been challenging for me to discern, especially in the area of the practical and what HE wants me to do.  The area of writing is no different. My sincere desire is to do what HE wants me to do and NOT what I want or what I think is the best.  I just want to know deep down that I'm following HIS will not mine.  Reading Holy Spirit inspired books has helped me discern what HE's trying to show me to do.

I don't know if this makes any sense.  Rambling probably, more than anything.

Thanks for your help!!

Ana

You're not understanding something my dear and you're making it harder than what it is.

First, the word of God is the voice of God. Read that over and over until that becomes seared into your brain and a part of your soul. The voice of God is not some mystical thing that we're trying to grab a hold of that He's hiding. That doesn't even make any sense. The voice of God is the word of God

Now, understanding that, understand this: the will of God is the word of God. Read it again.

This is the problem in the body of Christ (and I'm not getting on you specifically but making an overall observation of the truth). They are trying their best to get some kind of mystical feeling to hear from God when Christ never did that. Never. This is proliferated by the plethora of bad teaching that masquerades as Christianity and it isn't.

Christ in the wilderness temptation used the word of God which was the Old Testament. Christ when debating with the Pharisees went to the word of God which was the Old Testament. The apostles used the word of God, the Scripture, to spread the truth on the day of Pentecost and beyond. Paul uses the Scriptures constantly in the Old Testament. The examples go on and on.

Your problem, my dear, is not that you can't hear the voice of God. Your problem is that you're ignoring the voice that's screaming at you. Your problem is that you're looking for a sign when the sign has been given: the word of God. Christ and Him crucified. Be careful because the Bible is clear that a wicked and adulterous generation seeks for a sign (Matthew 12:39). You have everything you need that pertains to life and godliness (2 Peter 1:3). Be joyful and relish in that. Use that.

Answer this question: have you ever read the whole Bible? All of it? If the answer is 'Yes.' then answer this: do you understand all of it fully? Do you remember all of it completely? If at any time during this evaluation you answer, 'No', why in the world are you looking for something outside the word of the Living God when you haven't grasped everything in the word of God? His word is enough and it barely scratches the surface on the issue. Hear God's voice by being intimate with His word. It's that simple. No additives. No preservatives. Just the unadulterated power of God in His word. Get acquainted with that and you'll never have to be concerned whether you're hearing from God again.

Whoops. Forgot to give books that compliment the word. Got on a little tangent there.

Here are books I say are must reads for every Christian:

1. Holiness - J.C. Ryle

2. Sovereignty of God - A.W. Pink

3. The Pursuit of God - A.W. Tozer

4. Spiritual Leadership - J. Oswald Sanders

These are the kinds of books you want to read over and over again. 

I also suggest the following:

The Holiness of God - R.C. Sproul

Knowing God - J.I. Packer

Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life - Donald S. Whitney

On the Mortification of Sin - John Owen

These will deepen your understanding of God and strengthen your walk exponentially.

God bless.

Good for you, Ana, for seeking God's voice!  No endeavour holds greater reward.  You're on the beautiful path. You recognise that God speaks to each and every one that seeks Him.  How amazing is that!  You couldn't want it if He didn't put it in your heart. 

I got a lot out of Henry Blackaby's Experiencing God.  He talks about George Muller's sign posts for the will of God. Ask Scripture, ask your people around you, line up circumstance, and take note of your heart.  It never failed these two men.

More than anything, I find the voice and will of God coming out the end of my pen.  Do you know Julia Cameron's Morning papers?  She is a non christian writer so one must be discerning, but the Morning Papers are adaptable to a writer seeking the True God.  I write for me.  My stories speak to me the love and Being of my Redeemer.  

God has faith in you!  Let that thought bowl you over for a few years.  God entrusts us with His heart.  He cannot not be heard, because by your question you show you are listening. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement!  That means a lot Nicola!  

I appreciate your suggestions!  I will definitely look into the ones that you mentioned.  I know that George Muller was instrumental to the opening of many orphanages.  That is very close to my heart.

Your words were whispers from heaven Nicola!  Thank you again!

Sincerely,

Ana

• Thanks 1

My husband's Grand father was one of George Muller's orphans. He was a most grateful waife who was educated and given a trade (sign painting and habadashery) and never forgot his benefactor. 

• Like 1