Phy

There's No One Way To Write

I've been reading and posting articles on how writers write for decades and the one overarching lesson which is apparent to me is there is no one right way to write. In fact, there are as many different ways to write as there are writers. The one thing they all get around to is this - writers write. If you want to be a writer, start writing, keep writing, until the thing is done.
https://medium.com/the-mission/27-writing-lessons-hacks-from-some-of-the-best-writers-on-the-planet-12c8c81cc99d

Lots of diversity there. Great article, Phy. To the first one...

Devote Yourself to Someone Greater First

“If I am asked today to advise a young writer who has not yet made up his mind what way to go, I would try to persuade him to devote himself first to the work of someone greater, interpreting or translating him. If you are a beginner there is more security in such self-sacrifice than in your own creativity and nothing you ever do with all your heart is done in vain.”

— Stefan Zweig

...I would add God. Self-sacrifice to His creativity! Makes it all worthwhile.

And to this?

“No one ever gets talker’s block. No one wakes up in the morning, discovers he has nothing to say and sits quietly, for days or weeks, until the muse hits, until the moment is right, until all the craziness in his life has died down.”

— Seth Godin,

I would add...as Bugs Bunny always says, "He don't know me very well, do he?" I'm a person of very few words, VERY FEW! ;)

And I totally agree: there's no one right way to write! :D

Seriously, if you guys keep teaching us all this, I'm going to start taking notes.  Seriously.

And someone should compile a lot of these teachings into The Christian Writers Book of Insights- or something with a better title.  Then Rebecca, Lynn and you (Phy) start a publishing company, publish this book then we fund a disco  and we create a writing scholarship to help up and coming Christian Writers.  Nicola is an artist and she could design the covers.

I could buy the first copy, read the book, review it and help promote it.

Just a suggestion, but you guys ought to do something with all this knowledge.

Edited by suspensewriter
goofed the wording yet again!

LOL You are such a hoot, SW! :D Glad you crossed out disco. Can't dance to it anymore. The flashing light bothers me! :P

48 minutes ago, suspensewriter said:

Just a suggestion, but you guys ought to do something with all this knowledge.

I nearly think I /have/ done something with this knowledge - I left it here! ;)

• Like 1

This was a great article Phy. Thanks for sharing. I especially related to the one that said:

It’s All Material

“I’m never not working on material. Every second of my existence, I am thinking, ‘Can I do something with that?’” [By the way, this advice echoes a phrase I’ve learned from author Robert Greene, “It’s all material.” Meaning everything bad that happens, everything frustrating or delayed or disappointing — all of it can be fuel for a book. It can teach you something that helps you improve your business, it can become a story you pass along to a friend.]

I think about living life as one big classroom....constantly teaching me in some sort or fashion, a constant parade of happenings, quotes, funnies, giggles, tears and experiences, as God weaves the pieces into this giant tapestry that only He sees now and we'll be able to get to see in eternity.  I'm always amazed. :D

• Like 1