Nicholas Reicher

A Helpful Guide To Exercise For Christian Authors

Writing often means sitting for a long period of time. Often on our hands when we should be writing.

Here's some helpful exercises to help us stay fit while we pursue our God given calling.

pencil drums: Try to get in thirty seconds of this per day. This will exercise your wrists and keep them strong, enabling you to type for long periods of time.

jumping to conclusions: My personal favorite aerobic exercise. Try to randomly jump to a conclusion at least once per day. Consult doctor before attempting.

Arm Raises. I do this once per hour. Take your hands off the keyboard, lift your arms up above your shoulders. It must be good for something, because my shoulders are the only thing on me that's not fat.

Finger Cracking. I do this when trying to decide which of the thirteen ways my story could go....

Paper crumble.  This was my old standby exercise when I used my old IBM Selectric and my writing wasn't up to snuff. It leads to my next exercise...

paper basketball. Where my less than stellar ideas go. Take crumbled paper, and toss it at the trash can. The exercise is getting up to put it in the trash because I always miss.

• Like 2

Don't forget the walk about when you leave your chair and walk around the house/room/office or even down the street to the local store for the soda and chips you shouldn't be having.. Done multiple times a day normally to exercise the legs and keep them from cramping.

• Like 1

Brilliant Z.

We could put all these together in a new book jointly produced between the three of us on the topic of "Ripped Writers."    But... maybe not.

2 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

Don't forget the walk about when you leave your chair and walk around the house/room/office or even down the street to the local store for the soda and chips you shouldn't be having.. Done multiple times a day normally to exercise the legs and keep them from cramping.

Yes, excellent! I'm glad you mentioned this. We'll leave out the advanced exercise routines of picante sauce dip

Don't forget the pelvic clenches when you drink too much coffee or tea, but you can't leave the desk because the printer jams up if you don't watch it every microsecond.

On 2/5/2018 at 7:36 PM, Nicholas Reicher said:

You're right I.... too late.:(

Gee,I hope that was a paper jam.??

• Haha 1