yawarakai

Cold Weather

Causing a lot of problems all over.  Some of the younger people around here are acting like it is something new (Climate change anyone) but back in the 70's 80's we had it.   A friend in Canada is telling me her city is at -20 C  here in Ohio itis -10 C.   My battery is complaining in my car and my rotating light bar is moving very slowly (hopefully better today as I warmed it up and greased the lights last night).   I bought that back in 1999 and still use it for work, although I would not mind upgrading to a LED mini light bar which is brighter and uses less power.

News is saying sub zero today and this week, gonna make it fun to work outside all day.

It's cold down here in NC too.Six degrees this morning. Feels like 0. I live in a log cabin. Only heat with wood. We usually get a day or two of cold like this every now and then, but a week or more!? We're not used to temperatures like this for an extended period of time. 

Yeah, we were at 1 degree this morning. It's warmed up now to 3! o_O Yawarakai, hope you put on lots of layers and stay warm. :D

I show up at work and find out we are closed all week (no work, no pay) because of the cold.  The union won't let the contractor have people work outside in this weather.  They were supposed to call me but forgot.  I wound up working 8 hours after all because a repair crew had to fix a frozen fan in the mine.  As for the rest of the week, I am hoping my company finds me some sites to work at for the hours.

My boss called in the evening, I go to a local mall for 8 hours training on Thursday to get some hours (training pay is not as much but it is still money) and Friday and Saturday I work third shift outside doing mobile and foot patrol of a neighboorhood in the city unarmed.  Of course Friday is when the coldest weather gets here.

Car batteries typically don't last over 3 - 4 years and they don't like the vcold. Replacement asap is recommended. Use a very light weight grease on the light bar as the cold will make it still or hard. Other than that right now I'll pray.

4 hours ago, zx1ninja said:

Car batteries typically don't last over 3 - 4 years and they don't like the vcold. Replacement asap is recommended. Use a very light weight grease on the light bar as the cold will make it still or hard. Other than that right now I'll pray.

The light bar I can warm up inside the vehicle to get it working as I have a 1/2 drive when I work.  The battery I replaced last year so it should still be good, just the extreme cold and not starting it for two days left it grumbling.

11 hours ago, yawarakai said:

The light bar I can warm up inside the vehicle to get it working as I have a 1/2 drive when I work.  The battery I replaced last year so it should still be good, just the extreme cold and not starting it for two days left it grumbling.

Okay, I recall reading cold start slow and that's an indication that an old battery is on it's way out.  But you should have the charging system checked to make sure it's working right.  Hope it works out for you.

Posted (edited)

I am in my vehicle all day, so I listen to the radio.  I don't always turn on the engine when at work, even in the cold weather.  I run it enough to heat up the car and then kill it rather than idle for 10 hours.  (I also have a fleece blanket I use.)

Today was spent running a heater by the pipes because they froze last night, turns out my one heater is on the way out and I had to use a different one.

Edited by yawarakai
More ifo