StAndrewsX21

A New Reformation

By Andrew J Thompson

I have my own thoughts, and I'm also curious about what others see and think should change in Christianity today. Here are a few of my many thoughts and I would love to hear yours:

1.  More humble submission to the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

I believe Martin Luther's humility up through 1521 catalyzed the early reformation, and a lack of humility thereafter on the part of many of the reformers, including Luther, stagnated reformation in the years that followed. So many Christian voices and leaders of today, are filled with self-certainty and have little humility toward different opinions. There is more fragmentation in the church today than ever before. IF there is to be unity, growth and purpose, it must come through the leading of the Spirit and not of man - no matter how long his reputation has been built.

2. Understanding the difference between true essentials of faith, and the non-essentials.

In my time as a follower of Christ, I have heard and witnessed so much emphasis within the church on financial success, political victory, community recognition, and self-improvement, I would expect an unbeliever to think the Christian message is that the resurrection of Christ (if even mentioned) begets wealth, power, prestige and good health, but has little to do with eternal life, or the coming of the kingdom of Christ here on earth, as it is in heaven. I pray our focus, as Christians, moves back to our risen savior - in the end, that is what it is all about.

3. Restoring personal piety to its place serving Christ's kingdom rather than self. 

The church has always had this battle.  The gift of identity means we are always tempted to care only for that which we are given to care for first - ourselves. But Christ's example, more than anything else, teaches us we can rely on God to care for all of our needs. The self is given to us as a vehicle to gain understanding of the greater whole of humanity and creation - not to serve ourselves. We grow the most when we realize that it is God who takes care of us, we are here to take care of that which is around us. Rightly understood, we all have a mission, and a purpose. Collectively, it is to be part of ushering in Christ's kingdom. Individually, it is to do our part to with that which God puts us in touch with. Our greatest reward is communion with Christ - we experience that most in communion with all those we touch.

I'm happy to discuss the many nuances of these ideals and others, in the context of church reformation. I hope this becomes a lively and helpful discussion.

"Never grow weary..."

Edited by StAndrewsX21
mistakes in original
  • Like 1

Oh, I agree, StAndrews. We have drifted far from God's ideal for us personally and for us as the church.

***I hope you'll hop over to Meet and Greet and introduce yourself so everyone will know you are here and can welcome you. :)

Great topic, one I enjoy with friends and family - what needs to be "updated" in a sense is the way I see it.

One thing that has always been on my mind, is that some things were probably lost or misinterpreted in the translations through time and between language. I believe this has caused for some to find parts of the Bible as sounding fantasy like, resulting in complete denial that the Bible or God are real due to this... where I myself believe that perhaps some things were metaphoric or mis-translated.

Does anyone else feel this way? That perhaps, and I am not saying my thoughts in either regard, but some things such as "Jesus walking on water" could have entirely been attempting to say something emotionally, or metaphoric, vs actually literally meaning he walked on water. I always wanted to sit down and write my thoughts or alternate meanings, but that thing called "time" hasn't been on my side yet. 

Please take this as an open idea, and not that I am suggesting it was false... just something I have pondered! 

• Like 1

I'm sure a few things have been mistranslated. I know one: watering his feet or other similar phrase. Means, umm, going to the bathroom! LOL ^_^

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Six Years Lost said:

Six Years Lost: I think the question of metaphoric intent should be derived from the literary context - as it generally always has been in Christian orthodoxy, i.e. in the gospels the line between what is meant to be metaphorical and that which is meant as a factual description is clear - parables are metaphorical, miracles are factual accounts. Our limited understanding of Hebraic midrash and Hellenistic mythology shouldn't inform us to change the distinctions the gospel writers clearly intended to make for us. The question isn't how they're meant to be told, the question is to what extent the factual accounts of miracles pass the evidentiary tests applied to the resurrection..  This has been a great development in apologetics as so many who seek to disprove Christianity struggle to disprove the resurrection - what a beautiful thing! But if we apply the same scrutiny to the accounts of other miracles that has been applied to studying the resurrection, we might have a much more difficult time with the proofs. The change I would encourage for Christians is to quit doubting the faith of those who question the miracle accounts for their factual credibility, and to begin recognizing the value we gain in allowing the search for truth to go deeper (and wider) - Christianity has fared very well when others have attempted to disprove its most essential truth claims, it will surely fare very well to have its lesser claims evaluated as well -even where some might be proven to be less likely than others. By winnowing out truth - the ultimate truth of Christ's own resurrection will continue to stand higher as the greatest miracle of all of human history. That's just my own opinion.

14 hours ago, Six Years Lost said:

• Like 1