Mike Morrison

Getting Published Is Just The Beginning

Good morning fellow writers/readers/Christians!

I apologize for my sudden hiatus. Life has been a whirlwind with work, travel, health, and marketing.

Quick side note, before I begin, If my prayer warriors could please pray for my mother and wife. both are having procedures done Monday and Tuesday. My mother is getting a blockage removed and my wife is having a massive cyst removed from her ovary (there is a potential for cancer, so this is the main focus of the prayer). I thank you all!

Now, I heard many times as I was going through the writing and editing process that finding a publisher is only the beginning. I'll be honest and say, I was naive in that counsel. I assumed the publisher would still handle the rest. NOPE!

A little over a month ago, I was honored in finding a publisher. They have been working on final edits and my book cover ever since. But I have discovered very quickly that if I want people to read my book come January, then I still need to market myself and my book. Not trying to toot my own horn, but I consider myself social media savvy (FB, Twitter). Though I have grown an extra 30 followers, I still find it difficult to gain an audience.

I have started a 12 week countdown to my book launch by publishing a raw novella of the same genre to perk interest. 12 chapters for 12 weeks. I am hoping to increase interest that way instead of blogging constantly.

I'd be interested in knowing how everyone else here has done in an attempt to gain followers/an audience! I look forward to reading your comments!

• Like 2

Yay! Congratulations, Mike! So happy for you. Hope it does well.

Yeah, that old precept is a holdover. Publishers today expect the author to do most of the marketing. I'm curious why you thought you would need to blog constantly.. As long as it is consistent, that's the key. 

Praying for God's best for your wife and your mom. :)

I agree with your approach, to get more readable material out there.  Readers want to know your style and vocabulary and creativity.  Parsing them out in little pieces will build their desire for the magnum opus.

Keep tooting your horn.  Someone will hear and be excited for the hunt.

Are your Mum and wife in the same city at least?  Are you chief nurse to both of them?  We shall pray for renewed health for all.  

Thank you @lynnmosher. Life is a roller coaster, but God is still good..

I may have misspoke when I said blog constantly. I believe the statement was more out of frustration or an unliking of it. haha. Simply put, I do blog, but it is a difficult task gaining a readership of people who enjoy your blogs AND will enjoy your novel. So I am trying something new this go around.

Edited by Mike Morrison

@Nicola  many thanks! That was my hope for all of this.

My mom lives in Virginia beach (2.5 hours away). So i will be driving in Sunday and then driving back after her surgery to be with my wife the rest of the week! The good news for the ladies (as long as both come out healthy) is they get to spend Thanksgiving with their feet up! :)

Ahhh! Soooo true, Mike! It is difficult. If your idea works, come back and share it with us.

Wow! Thanksgiving with the feet up! Extra prayers for that. LOL :D

• Like 1

You sound like you are maintaining the best possible attitude, humour.  God blesses a cheerful giver. :D  Your Thanksgiving will be extra blessed and thankful this year.  

• Like 1

I wish your family the best and my prayers for their good health.

On the other front, do you do much public speaking?  Do you attend the relevant conventions and work as a panelist.  A last question is whether or not you've tried getting radio speaking slots- in other words, working the interview circuit.  All three of these seem to help in building an interest in both yourself and your book.  Just as a side note, I think it helps to sell your work if you first sell yourself.  

Best of luck.