jadijohnson

Hiring A Revision Partner

I think I'm going to have to go it alone.  I just can't trust anyone with my stories.  Once bitten, twice shy.  I'm sure as writers you can all see where I'm coming from.  You can imagine what it would feel like to realize someone has used one of your stories to get published.  I just can't go through that again.  So if you have any good revising advice, I would love to hear it!

4 minutes ago, jadijohnson said:

I think I'm going to have to go it alone.  I just can't trust anyone with my stories.  Once bitten, twice shy.  I'm sure as writers you can all see where I'm coming from.  You can imagine what it would feel like to realize someone has used one of your stories to get published.  I just can't go through that again.  So if you have any good revising advice, I would love to hear it!

I understand and now fear the same thing. I believe that you have to go where you feel lead. But remember there are good and honest people out there. Don't give up on God. Maybe he's delaying the outcome for a reason. 

With that said all I can suggest is read, wait at least 30 days (or read something different) and start over then repeat until you stop finding the errors. Thats what I've been doing in an attempt to clean The Sacrifice up and it never ceases to surprise me the errors I find. Try to have friends and relatives who you trust do the same. You could also post parts here to see if your on the right track.

Your mind will fill in the most obvious gaps. One person told me to read it backwards so your mind won't do that, that might work but I just don't make it past the first (last) page.

Totally your call!!  You have that right for sure.  But I agree with zx1ninja - pray about it!

In the meantime, I find it really helps to read out loud - harder to connect dots that aren't there when you have to hear it.

Best of luck!

Thanks for writing, Zxininja.  I really wish plagiarism never happened, but we have to face the fact that it does.  I do agree that there are good, honest people out there.  It's finding them that is difficult!  Everyone looks the same!  How can you tell the difference between the lambs and the wolves??  Like you, I'm amazed that I'm still finding errors after reading through my stories so many times.  I always wonder, How did I miss that?  But I'm glad I noticed the error.  My fear is that I don't know an error when I see one.  That's why I thought it would be helpful to have an expert read through my story.  I used to have one of my sisters read my stories ... until one night when she left my manuscript in an unlocked car inside an apartment garage!  I couldn't trust her after that.  

1 hour ago, jadijohnson said:

Thanks for writing, Zxininja.  I really wish plagiarism never happened, but we have to face the fact that it does.  I do agree that there are good, honest people out there.  It's finding them that is difficult!  Everyone looks the same!  How can you tell the difference between the lambs and the wolves?

After breifly reviewing the thread there is really nothing more I can say. Everyone has a valid point and even I have to admit (and did) it's scary. The only other thing to suggest is to not give up and research potential editors ask for references and follow up on them. 

I agree with you, Zxininja.  I really can trust the referrals of other writers.  If they are happy with someone and feel they are honest, I don't have much reason to doubt them.  I guess I won't completely give up on the idea of finding someone to edit my manuscripts.  I just want to be extra careful.  You should, too! :)

I recommend Elizabeth Easter. She's an author whose pen name is Keanan Brand and I've worked with her for ten years as a magazine editor, a slushpile editor for my Space Opera ezine Ray Gun Revival, as a novelist, and as a novel editor. She's a Christian of the highest personal integrity and she knows her stuff as a writer and editor. Tell her Johne sentcha. Ping me if you'd like to her contact information via email, FB, or Twitter. 
https://www.upwork.com/o/profiles/users/_~016c75b3dbc259fc63/

I also recommend Cathi-Lyn Dyck. Here's what Linda Yezak said about my friend Cat:
"Canadian editor Cathi-Lyn Dyck, of Scienda Editorial, is not currently a published author, but she is, however, the editor of two award-winning novels, not to mention novels that have finaled in some pretty impressive contests in the Christian industry--like the Christy, for instance. She recently worked with me on my newest, The Cat Lady's Secret. Cathi-Lyn's editorial work is comprehensive and superlative, and she excels at discovering structural issues, especially those based on the genre you write. She doesn't work on romance, but will work on submissions for the ABA market as long as they're family friendly."

Author K.M. Weiland recommends her as well:
"Now we come to the part where I’m pulling out my hair, starting to hyperventilate (just a little), and running around screaming. This is the part where I hand over my manuscript to my awesome editor Cathi-Lyn Dyck and sit around trying to be productive while I wait for her to get back to me."
https://www.kmweiland.com/countdown-to-a-published-book-one-year-in-the-life-of-an-indie-author/#"
I'll note her site has changed. She's now branded as Do Not Hire This Editor, which is genius in a counter-programming sort of way:
http://www.donothirethiseditor.com/ask-me-a-question/

Wow, Phy!  That's a lot of information!  I'll keep it on hand for when I'm ready to stop tinkering with my current novel.  I just wanted to start collecting opinions so when I'm ready to hand my manuscript over to a competent editor, I'll know who to go to. :)

• Like 1

On 11/26/2017 at 2:24 PM, jadijohnson said:

Wow, Phy!  That's a lot of information!  I'll keep it on hand for when I'm ready to stop tinkering with my current novel.  I just wanted to start collecting opinions so when I'm ready to hand my manuscript over to a competent editor, I'll know who to go to. :)

Once again your question kicked up much dust that the rest of us can turn into gold. Thank you all!

• Like 1

Jill Domschot just published her pricing schedule on FB. Jill is a friend of mine and is an editor of a variety of published works, including the books in the Reagan Moon series by Mike Duran.

Just in case you're looking for a post Nanowrimo editor, here's a table I made of my prices.

jill pricing 2017.png