InspiredHome

How To Conduct Research

Google earth is great for viewing places you plan on using as settings.  For example, viewing the streets of Detroit at night via their app is better than being there!  (I can say this because I'm from Detroit :))   Anyway, you can research settings all over the world without ever leaving your chair.

Other than the obviously dangerous (no wonder you're a suspensewriter....:P) participation is key.  Real life experiences with all the senses turned on will give your readers your unique gift of observation.  No one will see it like you do, and few have the gift that you do for putting your experience into words.  

In addition to the practical 'work' of those experiences, chances are you'll have a rip roaring wild and happy time, you'll learn something about yourself and your God, and you'll meet people who will want to buy your book because they helped create it. 

What a cool comment, Nicola!

Do you remember the critical moment in Bram Stoker's "Dracula," where Jonathon Harker and his carriage full of travelers arrive at the fork in the road atop the Borgo Pass, where one road leads to the normal world and the other to the dark carnage of Dracula's castle?  The description of the that dangerous, craggy intersection in the wild Carpathian mountains is powerfully written, with crackling lightning exploding against sheer rock cliffs.  In real life, the area Stoker describes is nothing more than peaceful, gently rolling grass hills.  He researched, I think, in his mind.

Which makes me wonder about the re-crafting of setting where research ends and imagination takes flight.  

• Like 1

The best and deepest research that we must do is into ourselves. 

2 hours ago, suspensewriter said:

Which makes me wonder about the re-crafting of setting where research ends and imagination takes flight.