Darryl

Recommendations

Hi everyone. I'm brand new to the forum. I am working on a trilogy in the young adults fiction genre. I am looking for recommendations for authors who write in a similar fashion to CS Lewis. Lewis is the author I most admire / wish to emulate, So I'd like to hear the names of any published authors who are similar in style. 

Randy Alcorn was greatly influenced by C.S. Lewis. His works aren't usually in the mold of fantasy but I've always enjoyed them. I'm writing a novel I like to think of as Pilgrim's Progress meets The Chronicles of Narnia. I had a difficult time finding authors who have written similar to the way I'm anticipating my novel going. So far I've read some of Ted Dekker, Sharon Hinck, and Karen Hancock. There are snippets of allegory in them and interesting in their own right.

Darryl/Inspired, I think you will find that many of the folks on this forum would claim C'S' Lewis as a source of some of their inspiration. I actually wrote my first work, Bethany's Tale, consciously imitating some of Lewis's style in the Chronicles. But, as all good writing advice says, it is okay to emulate a favored author as a staring place, but you should then evolve your own style. I'm trying to do that with my second work.

As to authors who are similar to C.S. Lewis, read George MacDonald. You can get his collected works for free on the Kindle. He has some wonderful fantasy that is definitely allegorical. His style is "thicker" than Lewis's and he sometimes gets into sermonizing in the middle of stories, but he has some truly brilliant flashes of imagination and some wonderfully philosophical and Spirit-filled observations about the world. In many cases, you can feel God's presence in his stories. And. of course, as a bonus, he was a great influence on Lewis. You can sometimes see the germ of things that showed up in Chronicles in MacDonald's stories. Try Lilith and Phantasties first.

Last point is a "commercial" :) If you are writing fantasy, you should join the Fantasy club on this site. It would be nice to have an active group of folks who struggle with thee same sorts of things working together there. 

Jeffrey Overstreet: Aurelia's Colors. Cyndere's Midnight, Raven's Ladder, The Ale Boy's Feast.  Truly as imaginative as C.S. Lewis, and then some.