Penguin

Waddling In

Greetings and shenanigans, fellow writers. I'm Penguin, a Christian and writer from Colorado. I'm here for the community among Believers, though I don't tend to write what would be categorized as "Christian fiction." In other words, I'm a Christian who is a writer, but not a Christian writer, if that makes sense.

Most of my work thus far falls under science fiction with a dystopian flavor. I've got zombies and nuclear warfare going in two separate works in progress (a novel and short story, respectively). I'm happy to be here and look forward to interacting with all of you.

• Like 1

Welcome to our writing family, Penguin. Glad you joined us. You'll find plenty of help, support, and encouragement around here, so roam around and make yourself at home. Blessings on your writing! :)

Welcome to our writing family, Penguin. Glad you joined us. You'll find plenty of help, support, and encouragement around here, so roam around and make yourself at home. Blessings on your writing! :)

Thank you for the welcome. I'll waddle around the forum and see what's what. Maybe I'll find a good place to dive in.

Welcome aboard, Penguin! It's great to have you here.

In other words, I'm a Christian who is a writer, but not a Christian writer, if that makes sense.

That makes a lot of sense. There are plenty of folks who fit into that description here, including myself! :)

• Like 1

Welcome aboard, Penguin! It's great to have you here.

That makes a lot of sense. There are plenty of folks who fit into that description here, including myself! :)

That's good to hear. Thank you for the welcome.

• Like 1

Greetings and shenanigans, fellow writers. I'm Penguin, a Christian and writer from Colorado. I'm here for the community among Believers, though I don't tend to write what would be categorized as "Christian fiction." In other words, I'm a Christian who is a writer, but not a Christian writer, if that makes sense.

Most of my work thus far falls under science fiction with a dystopian flavor. I've got zombies and nuclear warfare going in two separate works in progress (a novel and short story, respectively). I'm happy to be here and look forward to interacting with all of you.

Welcome to the group!

Hello, welcome to Christianwriters Penguin! It is great to meet you, and have you here!

Thank you. I like it here so far. I appreciate the critique forum especially. Offering constructive criticism is often helpful to keep me mindful in my own writing.

Hello from North Carolina! I just joined this group. I write historical fantasy (with Christian allegory).

Nice to meet you. I only recently started digging into fantasy, beyond the obvious fantasy "starter kit" (Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc.).

• Like 1

You too, Penguin! I try to branch out and sample other genres too. Right now, I'm reading Jolina Petersheims's The Divide. Post-apocalyptic Amish Romance LOL ... now there are three things I almost never read! (better than I expected though) Did you enjoy fantasy?

You too, Penguin! I try to branch out and sample other genres too. Right now, I'm reading Jolina Petersheims's The Divide. Post-apocalyptic Amish Romance LOL ... now there are three things I almost never read! (better than I expected though) Did you enjoy fantasy?

I enjoy some of it. So far my favorite fantasy has been The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. I didn't enjoy Harry Potter as much as I thought I would, and though I liked Tolkien's world, I found his writing style difficult to appreciate.

Post-apocalyptic Amish romance? I guess there really is a genre for everything. As far as Christian fiction goes, I think more authors would do well to just focus on telling a good story, rather than spearheading their effort with an evangelistic agenda.

• Like 1

I enjoy some of it. So far my favorite fantasy has been The Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. I didn't enjoy Harry Potter as much as I thought I would, and though I liked Tolkien's world, I found his writing style difficult to appreciate.

Post-apocalyptic Amish romance? I guess there really is a genre for everything. As far as Christian fiction goes, I think more authors would do well to just focus on telling a good story, rather than spearheading their effort with an evangelistic agenda.

I must confess my writing does have an evangelistic message, but I completely agree that it should be secondary to telling a good story!

Have you heard of Kerry Nietz's Amish Vampires in Space?? He went with the idea after joking with his publisher that the only books making money at the time were Amish romances and vampire stories. Jimmy Fallon put it on his "Do Not Read" list (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSiTIZW3WEo). Although I have not read it yet, I've heard it's actually pretty entertaining.

• Like 1

That does sound like an intentionally hilarious read. I'd like to see how they handle the whole "anti-technology" problem while somehow getting to space.

I like The Dresden Files because it tells a really good story, especially once you get three or four books in. I'm not entirely opposed to agendas in fiction, but yes, the story should come first. That's pretty much my cardinal rule.

• Like 1