Phy

Trading Up On Your Problems

Author David Farland brings the truth:

"So writing brings its own set of problems. When you are a writer, you don’t get to pick and choose what jobs you like to do. You don’t get to say, “I hate outlining novels,” or “I hate promoting books,” or “I hate giving television interviews.” You need to master a lot of skills.

A few years ago, I was in a panel where bestselling author Scott Westerfield pointed out that when you are about halfway through a novel, most writers find that they need to stop and re-work it. They’ve made some changes to the plot as they wrote, and now the novel’s ending needs to be revised. Most authors when they reach that point, will sit around and ponder it over a period of a few weeks, but he said, “I realized one day that the sooner I got that re-plotted, the less time I would waste.” So he would jump into the task and finish the new outline in a couple of days. That’s a great attitude to have with any aspect of writing that gives you trouble: jump in, master the skill, get the job done well. That’s the mark of a true professional.

No matter what career you take up, you will have challenges that you will need to face and skills that you will develop.

Ultimately, the only reason to become a writer is because you love doing it.

I’m reminded of the words of Confucius, “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to go to work a day in your life.”

http://mailchi.mp/xmission/david-farlands-writing-tips-trading-up-on-your-problems

• Like 1

Author David Farland brings the truth:

"So writing brings its own set of problems. When you are a writer, you don’t get to pick and choose what jobs you like to do. You don’t get to say, “I hate outlining novels,” or “I hate promoting books,” or “I hate giving television interviews.” You need to master a lot of skills.

A few years ago, I was in a panel where bestselling author Scott Westerfield pointed out that when you are about halfway through a novel, most writers find that they need to stop and re-work it. They’ve made some changes to the plot as they wrote, and now the novel’s ending needs to be revised. Most authors when they reach that point, will sit around and ponder it over a period of a few weeks, but he said, “I realized one day that the sooner I got that re-plotted, the less time I would waste.” So he would jump into the task and finish the new outline in a couple of days. That’s a great attitude to have with any aspect of writing that gives you trouble: jump in, master the skill, get the job done well. That’s the mark of a true professional.

No matter what career you take up, you will have challenges that you will need to face and skills that you will develop.

Ultimately, the only reason to become a writer is because you love doing it.

I’m reminded of the words of Confucius, “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to go to work a day in your life.”

http://mailchi.mp/xmission/david-farlands-writing-tips-trading-up-on-your-problems

Good things to think about, Phy. Thanks!

• Like 1