Virginia Winterstorm

Which Do You Prefer-social Media For The Writer

Hello,

Here I am with the question, "Which Do You Prefer"? Social media for the Writer.

All I want to do is make a constant contact with my writings without babysitting social media. I do not any account. I do not prefer Facebook.

The quick research showed Tweeter better to use as a writer.

What do you advise?

If you want to write for your own reading, then social media isn't your thing. If you don't like connecting with people and making relationships and friends, then social media isn't your thing. However, if you wish others to read what you write, if you wish to make connections with others, it's a necessary evil. Promoting your work is part of the process of being a writer. You can't leave it out.

I did more Twitter when I first started and not much FB. However, that changed. Twitter feels like drive-through comments. ;) I found it easier to develop deeper relationships to FB. You can only do what works best for you. :)

• Like 3

If you want to write for your own reading, then social media isn't your thing. If you don't like connecting with people and making relationships and friends, then social media isn't your thing. However, if you wish others to read what you write, if you wish to make connections with others, it's a necessary evil. Promoting your work is part of the process of being a writer. You can't leave it out.

I did more Twitter when I first started and not much FB. However, that changed. Twitter feels like drive-through comments. ;) I found it easier to develop deeper relationships to FB. You can only do what works best for you. :)

Thank you. Well expressed and to the point.

Posted (edited)

Thank you, Virginia. One thing I forgot to add. Making and developing relationships is essential to your sales figures. If you're not on social media, no one will know about you and, therefore, you will sell very few books. This writing business is a dichotomy of feelings: one loves to write but hates to promote oneself. Which is me. But if I don't, I cannot get out the messages God gives me. :)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

Just re-reading your comment. "If you don't like connecting with people and making relationships and friends, then social media isn't your thing". You can not make relationships, you build them. Friends are not that easy to come back, specifically if the "Friends" are behind a screen.

The intent with social media, as a whole, is to connect with those you would not otherwise know exist. One small access to the human connection.

I read this as a strong statement and a bit too deep for social media.

My opinion

Thank you, Virginia. One thing I forgot to add. Making and developing relationships is essential to your sales figures. If you're not on social media, no one will know about you and, therefore, you will sell very few books. This writing business is a dichotomy of feelings: one loves to write but hates to promote oneself. Which is me. But if I don't, I cannot get out the messages God gives me. :)

Ok. I accept that. My objective is to share my personal essays...to some extent

Sorry. I should have said build.

Ah! Nothing to be sorry about. We are good. It is good to get others point of views. Another reason why we are on this site! :) I appreciate you!

I have two Facebook pages, one for my author and one for one of my characters. She also has a twitter account but I have not done anything with her lately on either.

I do use networked blogs website so when I post a new blog it sends a link to twitter and my Author page.

• Like 1

I would suggest you choose Facebook as there will be no limit on the characters compared to twitter. Also, this social media channel has a lot of active users who can see how beautiful your writing is. Building a reputation, engagement, and impression is easier compared to other social media accounts out there.

• Like 1

Is this site considered social media?

FB and Twitter and the others are played out in public, forums are largely insular by design, set apart from the rest of social media. (I think there is a place for both but, no, I don't consider forums 'social media.')

Forums are about Community, typically a place to dive a little deeper, have a little more privacy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with you, forums give you the ability to connected with the members and learn on a more personal level if you know what I mean. I use FB and Twitter to chat with friends, advertise a business or promote my books.

Do you have any other suggestions for advertising books for new authors? Is there a hot spot to go besides FB and Twitter? Thanks

I guess I'm practicing on you guys. I'll take the plunge into the deep ocean eventually. I know it is important.

• Like 2

Good for you Dorothy! Praise God for Productivity! There's no end to the good we can do if we get out and about.

I hate sitting around doing nothing, tomorrow I an meeting with a bride to discuss her wedding plans, so excited! . I love the word Productivity, God is not pleased with lazy people.

Have you guys considered contracting out your social media activity? Not every writer benefits from being involved with social media. Some actually lose readers because of it.

Contracting out just might be more beneficial to you than doing poorly on social media.