RL Childers

Any Thoughts On Kdp?

I was just introduced to KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing) by a young lady. Has anyone out there had any experience with it? Good or bad, I'm interested in whether it is something I should look into or just avoid. I have discovered so many things aimed at writers that all seem like a good idea until you really take a good look. Thanks for sharing any thoughts!

No, I haven't taken advantage of it yet but I will. Yes, if you want to self-publish, it's a great way to go. If you do, you will need supplemental submissions to other sites. That is, if you wish to sell your book through sites other than Amazon. Draft2digital (D2D) shares to multiple outlets, like to Barnes & Noble, iBooks, etc.

As publishers, we use it for most of our eBooks in preference to all other outlets combined. The reason is that it by far outperforms all others, and that by dealing exclusively through KDP (especially their Select program) you pull more income than you could through the others, so yes I'd recommend it highly.

There's a reason Jeff Bezos is now the richest man on the planet and that iStore, Google Play and Barnes and Noble are eating his dust. This doesn't mean he's the worlds nicest or coolest guy- it just means he's put together one heck of a selling system small publishers and individual authors can take advantage of and make more money than otherwise.

One caveat, though, and that it is that they allow advertising of almost all eBooks on their Kindle site- except religious. So you have to promote your book via Social Media and other channels.

• Like 1

That is why I began again. I am getting very old now (77) and my health isn't that good anymore. I want to get as many short books out before I go so my wife will have a bit of money coming in. I published a few books some years back. The first children's book was a disaster. It had spelling and grammar errors in it that should have been taken out with a good critique.

My book "the Lord's Prayer" seemed to sell fairly good for an unknown author.

I still get a small amount almost every month from them. I am trying to improve on that.

All of my income has been from KDP.

• Like 1