Erika Lawson

“when I Think Of My Dad …” 2017 Father’s Day Essay Contest

Moms may be the glue that keeps a family together, but Dads are the support structure. Because we think fathers deserve recognition too, and in honor of Father’s Day, Shame Kills and Drug Rehab are partnering to sponsor the essay contest, “When I think of My Dad...” with a $200 prize for the winning essay.

In 250 words or less, using the starting phrase “When I think of my dad,” we want to know what your father means to you and how he has made your life better. What has he done to lift you up and keep you on the right track? How has he influenced you? How has he helped you stay on the path towards healing?

For more information and contest rules, please visit http://www.drugrehab.org/fathers-day-essay-contest/. For any questions, please contact Erika Lawson at erika@shamekills.info.

I don't suppose a negative piece, about how terrible a father was, and how I avoid repeating his actions, is what you're looking for?

I don't suppose a negative piece, about how terrible a father was, and how I avoid repeating his actions, is what you're looking for?

I'm sorry to hear your story isn't a positive one. Could you frame the essay in a way that shows what you've learned to avoid without the negativity?