Why Do You Write?

Discussion in 'Writing & Publishing Discussion' started by zx1ninja, Jul 17, 2017.

1. zx1ninja

zx1ninja Member

It's really just that simple. I'm curious as to why the majority of people write.

Me, I thought I had a story(s) that maybe would help someone understand God's nature. (Maybe just myself.)

mine likes this.
  2. Nicola

Nicola Member

There were these characters, you see... They started doing things in my imagination. They moved on when I wrote what they did down. I write to get them out of my head. I have very little to do with what happens in my imagination or with the words that collect on my computer, except that I am expected to approach a publisher or self publish if I want others to read what I wrote. I'd like that part to happen with the same ease as the other.
    It's a compulsion. I like words and they keep me good company. I see things that other people don't see, but that is no excuse for showing them what I see.

3. blackthorne

blackthorne Junior Member

It's my nature.

4. suspensewriter

I'm with blackthorne- God gives us something to do, we have to run with it.

mine, SmartrykFoster and blackthorne like this.
  5. lynnmosher

lynnmosher Super Moderator
    Staff Member

That's weird. I wrote a nice long explanation and it's gone! Weh! :( Trying again...

In 2000, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and thought I would be in a wheelchair the rest of my life. The Lord allowed some healing and I’m better now, though a few other ailments have decided to join the fibro anguish.

Six months after being diagnosed, the Lord whispered to my heart to write for Him. Ha! said the Sarah in me. Me, Lord? I’ve only written stinky poetry. But I obeyed and the first thing the Lord led me to write was a book on the ancient, twelve-step, Hebrew betrothal tradition. Whew! Tons of research! The chapters offer personal application for living a holy life as the Bride awaits her heavenly Bridegroom to return. Very interesting! It’s still on the shelf. Long story. I have several other projects in the works.

The Lord has led me to share my writing across numerous sites and I’ve been a contributor to a few books. I not only write twice weekly on my site but monthly for a few other sites. My greatest passion is to fulfill God’s call on my life to encourage others and glorify the Lord with whatever He leads me to write. He has also put the desire in me to do graphics to share not only on social media but also for book launches for other writers.

He has taken me on a journey I could never have imagined. Obedience is key! :D

mine and blackthorne like this.
  6. zx1ninja

zx1ninja Member

Awesome

7. blackthorne

blackthorne Junior Member

Wow, what an incredible testimony, Lynn! I read this out loud to my wife and we were both blessed.

8. lynnmosher

Staff Member

Oh, my! I am honored and humbled you both were blessed, blackthorne. Praise the Lord! Thank you for letting me know. ❤

blackthorne likes this.
  9. Phy

Phy Senior Member

Why do I write? I could easily write something grandiose about how I write to get these persistent characters / settings / ideas out of my head and onto the page or how this is a Calling or something equally self-important, but if I'm being honest, the reasons are really very simple:
    I like it; it's fun; when I write, I feel His pleasure.

10. lynnmosher

Staff Member

Johne, I feel a little...what shall I say...stepped on? I hope my explanation of my *calling* was not perceived as self-importance. :confused:

Phy likes this.
  11. Phy

Phy Senior Member

Oh, my no! Lynn, your story is sweet and sincere and inspirational. You couldn't be more genuine and humble, both as a writer and as a person.

I have not been so mature. After my kids got old enough that I was able to return to hobbies, actual free time, my ambition got the better of me, a genuine failure of pride. I convinced myself that not only was writing fun, it was an actual Calling, and I told myself I was going to change the world through my fiction. For me it was self-important, a rationalization to bring more glory to me. Fer Jesus. Somehow.

It took me an embarrassing number of years to realize that I am, first and foremost a servant of God and not a Writer (capital W), and my Calling is simply to know and glorify Jesus. When I gave up all pretensions and gave my writing / success aspirations back to God, I gained peace and perspective. Furthermore, I got over a nasty and extended case of Writer's Block and was able to settle down and use my talent as a talent and not as God's Gift to the Masses (if you know what I mean).

I still love to write and when I write, I feel God's pleasure, but I no longer think of it as a Calling as much as a gift, a talent. If I had to choose between writing and God, there was a time when I would have to think about the choice. That is no longer the case - I choose God.

12. lynnmosher

Staff Member

Oh, wow! That is so awesome, Johne! And exactly how the Lord wants it. I've always been impressed with you and your words. I'm so glad you shared that. :) And thank you for your kind words. I'm glad I didn't come across as self-important. That would not be me at all. And I'd hate for it ooze in when I wasn't looking. LOL :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Phy likes this.