Which Do You Prefer-social Media For The Writer

Discussion in 'The Open Forum' started by Virginia Winterstorm, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Virginia Winterstorm

Virginia Winterstorm Junior Member

Hello,

Here I am with the question, "Which Do You Prefer"? Social media for the Writer.

All I want to do is make a constant contact with my writings without babysitting social media. I do not any account. I do not prefer Facebook.

The quick research showed Tweeter better to use as a writer.

What do you advise?

2. lynnmosher

lynnmosher Super Moderator
    Staff Member

If you want to write for your own reading, then social media isn't your thing. If you don't like connecting with people and making relationships and friends, then social media isn't your thing. However, if you wish others to read what you write, if you wish to make connections with others, it's a necessary evil. Promoting your work is part of the process of being a writer. You can't leave it out.

I did more Twitter when I first started and not much FB. However, that changed. Twitter feels like drive-through comments. ;) I found it easier to develop deeper relationships to FB. You can only do what works best for you. :)

Virginia Winterstorm likes this.
  3. Virginia Winterstorm

Thank you. Well expressed and to the point.

4. lynnmosher

Staff Member

Thank you, Virginia. One thing I forgot to add. Making and developing relationships is essential to your sales figures. If you're not on social media, no one will know about you and, therefore, you will sell very few books. This writing business is a dichotomy of feelings: one loves to write but hates to promote oneself. Which is me. But if I don't, I cannot get out the messages God gives me. :)

Virginia Winterstorm likes this.
  5. Virginia Winterstorm

Just re-reading your comment. "If you don't like connecting with people and making relationships and friends, then social media isn't your thing". You can not make relationships, you build them. Friends are not that easy to come back, specifically if the "Friends" are behind a screen.

The intent with social media, as a whole, is to connect with those you would not otherwise know exist. One small access to the human connection.

I read this as a strong statement and a bit too deep for social media.

My opinion

6. Virginia Winterstorm

Ok. I accept that. My objective is to share my personal essays...to some extent

7. lynnmosher

Staff Member

Sorry. I should have said build.

8. Virginia Winterstorm

Ah! Nothing to be sorry about. We are good. It is good to get others point of views. Another reason why we are on this site! :) I appreciate you!

9. lynnmosher

Staff Member

10. yawarakai

yawarakai Senior Member

I have two Facebook pages, one for my author and one for one of my characters. She also has a twitter account but I have not done anything with her lately on either.
    I do use networked blogs website so when I post a new blog it sends a link to twitter and my Author page.