What Do You Think About Writers Paid By Most Viewed?

Discussion in 'Writing & Publishing Discussion' started by suspensewriter, Jun 19, 2017.

1. suspensewriter

#1 suspensewriter, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Any of you familiar with this type of payment arrangement? It's from www.christianmediamagazine.com

We pay $20
    per assigned article accepted
    $100 bonus
    for most viewed article of the month

It's a fascinating concept, although susceptible to manipulation as any commission or bonus plan is. So what do you think as writers about this idea?

2. SmartrykFoster

Maybe they make money through advertising shown on the article pages, in which case you may want to watch this:

3. suspensewriter

Thanks for the video, and I think that's the point- the magazine only gets paid through its advertisers, and the number of page views. My editors and I have discussed such incentive programs in the past, but aren't sure. It's easy enough for a professional editor to tell if the writing is good. One or two paragraphs in and if they can't tell the difference it's time to get a new editor. But writer compensation is a separate issue.

For example, if a writer has a book excepted and they sell 10,000 copies, the remuneration by the publisher is greater than if only 5 copes sold (or, we all hope so), but a freelance article writer is generally paid a flat fee for their work. What's of interesting is that bonus incentives for page views is similar enough to greater compensation for book sales that it could produce results for writers.

Physical magazines are sold and include advertising monies in their revenue streams. Web magazines are rarely successful in being sold per issue, so the page view monies from advertisers would beef that up.

I've always said no to it, but then again I don't like web magazines anyway, so I thought I'd see what the rest of you think.

And by the way, thanks so much for the input.

4. Nicola

Nicola Member

Yay Banff, and Canadian Journalism. The Arctic story was classic.
    The money we put into our schools, raising astute readers and thinkers, is the money that will be paid to our writers. Astute readers and thinkers will buy worthwhile products and attract the more valuable advertisers. At last a writer will not mind being paid by an advertiser, because the product will raise the tone of society the same way the writing does.
    That was very idealistic. I hope we can shoot for the stars and hit Manhattan.
    Both cream and scum rise to the top. The difference in which you get is in what you put in your glass in the first place.

5. SmartrykFoster

I think it depends on how much money is being generated.

When you sell a book, you set a price for the book and anyone who buys a copy of that book will buy it at the price you set.

Advertising revenue generated through paid ads works a bit differently, though.

Some advertisers pay a flat rate to have their ads shown on a website for a specific period of time. That can be reliable income for the website, but lately marketers have wanted to know more about the effectiveness of the advertising and the R.O.I.

'Pay-per-view' advertising is similar to 'flat fee' advertising, except that the fee is determined by the number of times that the ad (or the web page that the ad is on) is viewed within a specified amount of time.

'Pay-per-click' advertising takes it a step further by paying based on how many times a specific ad is clicked. That's because anyone can view the ad on a page while on a webpage and ignore it. Marketers want to know how effectively their ads generate interest and they only want to pay for advertising to consumers who show interest.

And there's possibly more complexity than that in terms of how much advertisers pay to websites based the market they serve (the content on the website and who it's intended for) and the website's traffic.

And the amount of profit that a website earns per ad view/click is usually pennies.

So a website would really have to know what they're doing when it comes to revenue from advertising before they decide to pay a bonus to article writers.

And how much they're willing to pay may determine whether an article writer feels that it's worth it.

6. lynnmosher

lynnmosher Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't know. Somehow it reminds me of those writing contests where others vote and you call on all your friends and relatives to vote for you. :rolleyes::eek: