What content is or isn't acceptable here on this website?

Discussion in 'Member Support Forum' started by William D'Andrea, Mar 25, 2017.

1. William D'Andrea

I have a question about what content is or isn't acceptable here on this Christian writer's website.
    I have written a short story concerning a sexually active high school girl, living in a Politically Correct, Inclusive and Permissive Community. She joins three of her classmates who’ve become Born Again Christians, and becomes one herself. They quote scripture in class and bring Bibles to school.This puts them in serious trouble with the local Powers That Be.
    This also puts them in conflict with their “Inclusive, Enlightened and Permissive” parents and classmates; members of their school’s faculty and administration; along with the arrogant, heretical Pastor of their local apostate Church.
    I originally wrote the story back in 2013, as political satire, which back then seemed too extreme. However, with the way things are now, the story may be no exaggeration.
    The work contains sex, but not too vivid, and some bad language. My question is, just how far would the writing go before it's considered unacceptable for this website?
    Thank you.

2. lynnmosher

lynnmosher Super Moderator
    Staff Member

William, I'll let Rebecca answer this for you. Be patient, though, since it's the weekend. Sometimes it's only the crickets that are around here! ;) ;)

3. Rebecca

Rebecca Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

A good rule of thumb is to keep it PG-13 or below. If you believe the work contains potentially objectionable content, be sure to post a warning in the very beginning, before your excerpt. If someone is offended by this sort of content, they've been warned and know not to read any further.

4. William D'Andrea

Thank you.
    I'm wondering about using euphemisms. Supposing I write F----, or Sh--. Would that be acceptable? There's a scene in which someone spells out the word. Would it be acceptable for the dialogue to say "F-you-know-what-ing"?
    I want to be sure about these things, before I begin the posting.
    Thank you again.

5. Rebecca

Rebecca Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I would definitely steer clear of the harsher 4-letter words. Either way, I believe you'll have a tough time getting people to critique this type of work on CW. The market you're aiming for is pretty niche and many Christians will find this type of content offensive, even if the overall message is one of redemption.

Rather than post this sort of material in the workshop, I would suggest posing a request in the Project Connections section in exchange for something of equal value (like a critique of the respondent's work). Just be sure to disclose the nature of the content upfront so there are no surprises on either side.

Hope this helps!