Two Words I Can't Seem To Shake

Discussion in 'Writing & Publishing Discussion' started by Nancy Sonneman, May 18, 2017.

1. Nancy Sonneman

my two words are "just" and "very". How do I get rid of them (kinda like a song stuck in your head. lol.)? What are your words that you can't shake?

Phy likes this.
  2. lynnmosher

lynnmosher Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Depends on what I'm writing. I don't do this so much with my devos but I think of words I may overuse, such as that. Or was. I do a search/find and highlight them. Then, I go back and see how I can improve each sentence. Sometimes just taking out that improves it. (See anything I can remove? ;) ) Yup. Remove just! But not all thats need to be removed. Sometimes, they are necessary. And sometimes, I overuse sometimes!!! :D

Cecilia Marie likes this.
  3. Poem Parks

Poem Parks Member

#3 Poem Parks, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    Just try very hard not to use them. :D

4. lynnmosher

lynnmosher Super Moderator
    Staff Member

LOL Yup. It is difficult not to overuse certain words since we talk that way! :eek: :rolleyes: o_O

5. Cecilia Marie

Cecilia Marie Senior Member

I have a long list of commonly overused words and I do as Lynn does. I use Word's search function to search them out one by one and remove or replace them. In my last last book, I took out over a thousand unneeded words. Of course, this was in a 70,000 word count manuscript, but still, that's a lot of redundant words. Sheesh! Thank goodness for a thorough editing process. :D

6. Heavens

Heavens Junior Member

Most of the time, when using those two particular words, you could probably eliminate them altogether. Try writing the sentence exactly as you would have but remove the overused word. For instance: 1. "I just wanted to help her, honestly. She just could not construct the sentence very well." REWRITE: "I wanted to help her, honestly. She could not construct the sentence well."