Title Question

Discussion in 'Writing & Publishing Discussion' started by suspensewriter, Sep 10, 2017.

1. suspensewriter

#1 suspensewriter, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  2. lynnmosher

lynnmosher Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Hmmm...yeah, that's a quandary. Truthfully? I probably wouldn't buy it as it is. Not sure I'd buy it by the second title either. I can't think of any suggestions either. Sorry. :(

3. suspensewriter

No worries, Lynn! The titles are an attempt to get Non Christians to get a look at a Christian viewpoint.

4. SmartrykFoster

If you want non-Christians to read the book to look at it from a Christian viewpoint, your title should hook them to make them want to know about it from a Christian viewpoint.

As it is, your titles looks like it would be preaching to non-Christians, not giving non-Christians an explanation of a Christian viewpoint.

5. suspensewriter

You know SmartykFoster, I think that's a good point. A really good point and one we're struggling with. One of the problems re getting awareness of Christian viewpoints is that many places, won't even to allow you to advertise Christian book on their sites or stores. Amazon is one of these.

Christians (my take) have too many books on the faith. non-Christians get mostly biased books about Christianity, not much at all that bridges to them (that said with the understanding that the Holy Spirit is the most important part of the equation). Even the word Jesus in the title is considered preachy unless it seems derogatory to a lot of people.

So, we're trying to focus on getting NonChristians to just take a look. That's all. The Sinner's Guide series is not apologetics or evangelical, they're books to let non-Christians know how Christians look at the world. Hopefully they'll at least "nudge" them into considering the Lord. There are plenty of excellent apologetics and evangelical books out there already. This is just an attempt to get them to look at these other books and at least think about our points of view.

Phy likes this.
  6. lynnmosher

Staff Member

Why not use that as part of the title: A Non-Christian's Look into a Christian's Take on Jesus/Politics. Or something like that.

7. suspensewriter

Okay, Lynn, now you have me thinking. Again. ;)

8. lynnmosher

Staff Member

9. SmartrykFoster

You can call me Smartryk; that's my given name.

Think about it from their viewpoint. If you're want to know what another religion thinks (even if, or especially if, you don't want to become part of that religion), what titles could make you interested in reading the book and what titles would put you off? What impression would the title give you?

And just make sure that the content of your book, and the writing style, fits the impression that your book cover and title gives, otherwise the reader might think the title was a 'bait and switch.'

10. suspensewriter

That's the difficulty I'm having, Smartryk (cool name by the way!). I am seriously considering a focus group of non-Christians to address those very questions. As a technical writers, we rarely have to "hook" readers. They are actively looking for the materials we've prepared. But for this type of work, a great many non Christians are not only not interested in the topic, they are either aggressively opposed to the ideas or heading straight for their safe spaces.

By the way, I really appreciate the input you're giving. It helps to hear it.

11. SmartrykFoster

You're welcome!

And my name, 'smart ryk,' literally means 'sorrow rich' or 'riches in a time of sorrow.' It was my grandfather's name and he was born during a war.

Yeah, I think a focus group might be best. The more members (or your target audience) that are in the focus group, the better. A good cross-section of the people you intend to reach would be a good idea.

12. SmartrykFoster

It would also be good to ask them questions. Like 'Are you interested in this topic? What questions do you have about a Christian viewpoint, if any? What would make you interested in reading about this? What topics would you like addressed? What questions would you like answered in this book?'

13. RADerdeyn

RADerdeyn Member

If you are trying to get non-Christians to take a look, I don't think you will attract many with the term "sinners" in the title. By definition, they would not consider themselves to be sinners, and so would probably not be interested.

What if you use just what you say you are trying to do as the draw? Something like, "How a Christian Views the World (and Why)" and "How a Christian Views Politics (and Why)" That way, anyone with a natural curiosity might at least read the first few pages to see where it is going - just like they might read a "How a Buddhist Views the World" book. Then it is up to the writing in the first few pages of your books to "hook" the reader.

SmartrykFoster likes this.
  14. suspensewriter

That's a great idea, RA! I wish we would have thought of that. I appreciate the help.

15. Phy

Phy Senior Member

Another idea is to go with a provocative title ala The Heretic's Guide to Christendom or something. (For instance, C.S. Lewis took this approach with The Screwtape Letters and Martin Luther was branded a heretic for rejecting tenets of the Catholic church.)

16. suspensewriter

You know, Phy, that would make a lot better series title. On top of being a creative way to bridge the gap, it's also intriguing. Especially with Martin Luther being branded a heretic! Is it okay if we go with it? It's your idea and I wouldn't want to presume.

Phy likes this.
  17. suspensewriter

By the way, my wife thinks you're all geniuses!

18. Phy

Phy Senior Member

Sure thing - I hope the books attract the attention of many impressionable heretics!

19. Nicola

Nicola Member

I come late to the conversation and have no new wisdom to add. I simply appreciate that we can go to each other for help and receive it so generously.
    Good luck with the heretics, suspensewriter. There is a Hitchhiker's Guide, why not a Heretic's Guide.

20. SuperPastor

SuperPastor New Member

Hi suspense writer.

I love your goal here and only thought to chip in because I recently picked up a book that deals with your subject matter. It was titled "The Skeptics View On..." It caught my attention. I like where you're going with this though.

Blessings